[Esip-soil-informatics] Soil data hackathon

Todd-Brown, Kathe kathe.toddbrown at essie.ufl.edu
Wed May 19 08:00:38 EDT 2021

Greetings!

I would like to invite you to apply for the Soil Data Hackathon v 2021.06 team this summer!

This Soil Data Hackathon will forge a community of soil and data scientists to integrate disparate soil data sets into a harmonized database from which we can create science-relevant data products. There are three key components of this hackathon: 1) activities to develop a shared understanding about soil data workflows, 2) a series of working meetings to harmonize datasets, and 3) a presentation to the general research community on soil harmonization workflow development.

We are looking for a diverse group of people for this! Including soil scientists with soil data that they wish to harmonize, programmers and data scientists looking to assemble new databases, ontologists or knowledge engineers looking to test ontologies with data applications, and soil researchers with questions that could be addressed by an integrated soil database.

You should expect to spend 1-4 hours per week over 4 months on educational, working, and report-out activities. You are encouraged to tie this to an already sponsored scope of work and we will discuss attribution and acknowledgement early in the project. The survey will close May 24th and we expect to schedule our first meeting for the week of May 31st. If you would like to be considered for future hackathons please note it in your response!

This is an alpha version of this event. What does this mean? We'll be asking you a lot of questions, the event will be smaller than future events, and it might not go as smoothly as one might hope. If you are interested and not contacted, don't worry! We'll keep your information and contact you when we hold this again.

Below is the google form to apply: https://forms.gle/NMDkAT3Vrd8YUUym8

-Kathe

---------
Katherine Todd-Brown, PhD

Assistant Professor
Environmental Engineering Sciences
Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure & Environment
Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering
University of Florida

Office: Rm B006, Phelps Lab, UF main campus
Twitter: @KatheMathBio

Mail: Dr Kathe Todd-Brown
Center for Wetlands
PO Box 116350