[Esip-sustainabledm] New ESIP Cluster: Sustainable Data Management

Margaret O'Brien margaret.obrien at ucsb.edu
Thu Dec 10 16:47:40 EST 2015

Hello all -
The ESIP cluster for our group has been set up:
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Sustainable_Data_Management

Ann is populating the collaboration area with the material we have
(workshop notes, bibliography), and as with other clusters you can
manage your email subscription from that page too. At least one of our
interest groups is planning a BoF for the ESIP winter meeting. So we're
off to a good start.

To refresh your memory, we have three interest group planning to move
forward (below). There was one other group called "Engaging
Stakeholders", but since every activity has stakeholders, I think the
trend was to wrap those activities into the other three. And of course -
now that we're free of the physical restraints of a workshop, you don't
have to limit your 'interest' to just one, you can work with them all! yay!

A. Return on Investment in Data Repositories for Society
Characterize the economics of centers and repositories to
qualify/quantify the value of data management and the data they hold

B. Common Technical Vision
Define areas or domains where common practices could be applied, eg, for
APIs, endpoints, structures, provenance, version control

C. Landscape Analysis
Define services available (from data centers and repositories) to
scientists, to help scientists decide which repositories match their
needs, and to provide context for the other two interest groups.

The Return-on-Investment group is the one planning the BoF session -- so
far they have commitments from Nancy Hoebelheinrich (organizer?), Anne
Wilson, Ruth Duerr, Peter McCartney

The next things for cluster-organizer (me) to do are
1. Set up a monthly telecon. This most likely will not meet until after
the ESIP meeting. We may be able to get it set up before then, so you
should be seeing something on that soon.

2. send an announcement out to esip-all.

That's it for now --

Margaret

--
Margaret O'Brien