[Esip-sustainabledm] ROI discussions and more? Feedback requested by 12 February 2016.

Nancy Hoebelheinrich nhoebel at kmotifs.com
Wed Feb 3 12:41:13 EST 2016

Hello, all:

One of the breakout sessions at the ESIP Winter Meeting in DC several weeks
ago was on the topic of Return on Investment (ROI) for data repositories,
one of the 3 topics that arose out of our discussions in Tempe late last
year.   A number of people were able to attend the face to face meeting and
others were able to attend remotely via the ESIP webex capability.  We made
some progress toward our goal of coming to agreement on what a return on
investment would be for data repositories, but we know that we still have
far to go.  We also thought that it might be a very good idea to broaden our
discussions to include all those present at Tempe who might be interested,
as well as other ESIP member organizations, and possibly EarthCube or other
science focused groups.  As a matter of fact, there was some discussion
about looking for funding to establish an EarthCube RCN on Data Repository
Sustainability for this effort, especially if the effort included discussion
of some of the other topics surfaced at the Tempe meeting.  This message is
being sent to you to see if you are interested in the ROI topic, but also to
solicit input on what you think of broadening our efforts, finding funding
to continue the discussions, and whether you'd be available to participate
in the continued discussions.  Note that we also plan to send a similar
query to the esip_all group as well to see if other ESIP members are
interested in the topics / efforts, so would like to have comments back by
COB, Friday, February 12th.

You can find a summary of the discussion at the meeting as well as the
complete notes on the ESIP wiki page for the group at:

 http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Sustainable_Data_Management

We'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on the esip-sustainabledm
<mailto:esip-sustainabledm at lists.esipfed.org>  mailing list, or you can
contact Margaret O'Brien, the group contact at margaret.obrien at ucsb.edu.
Thanks!

Kind regards,