[Esip-sustainabledm] Repository Landscape session planning for Summer ESIP meeting - COPDESS Information

Shelley Stall SStall at agu.org
Mon Apr 11 16:35:54 EDT 2016

Cyndy and Sustainable Data Management folks,

In response to Question 2 below, the original intention for the repository list in COPDESS was to connect publishers with repositories.  Kerstin Lehnert, Director of Integrated Earth Data Applications (IEDA) and Brooks Hanson, Director, Publications, AGU are the points of contact developing this tool being hosted by the Center for Open Science.

The original list was an extraction from re3data.org of all Earth and space science related repositories.  Because of concerns for the quality of this information and the need to have it validated, each repository is being contacted to validate/correct their data.  This is happening right now.  Once that is complete, the cleansed data will be provided back to re3data.  The repository list is hosted at the Center of Open Science and will continue to be managed and be considered authoritative for the purposes of COPDESS.  As corrections and additions are made, these changes will be shared with re3data.

Since much of the work to have a quality source of repository information is being done, the ESIP Sustainability Data Management folks are encouraged to define the fields they want to be included with the rest of the repository information.  There is willingness to include it in the COPDESS list and manage it along with the other data elements.

If you agree that this is a good match and you know the desired fields already, they might be able to be included in this initial validation process. If not, we may need to add them after the first round.

You are welcome to reach out to Brooks (bhanson at agu.org) and/or Kerstin (lehnert at ldeo.columbia.edu) with any questions.

COPDESS.org contains a description of the effort along with the statement of commitment being adopted by publishers and data facilities.

At the moment you can see an example of 4 repositories in the list.  This link will get you there directly:  https://copdessdirectory.osf.io/search/
For each entry a minimum set of data elements are shown.  Select the arrow on the bottom of each entry and you can see the entire entry for the repository.  Keep in mind this data is an example not necessarily entered by the repository.  Any errors are likely to be corrected in the validation process.

Shelley Stall
240-676-0774