[Esip-sustainabledm] Fwd: ESIP cluster, sustainable DM, call Friday 7/8

Margaret O'Brien margaret.obrien at ucsb.edu
Thu Jul 7 19:55:28 EDT 2016

Hi all -
Resending this - the original got hung up because of the attachment. You
may get it twice - sorry.

We have a call tomorrow (Friday) -- the last one before the ESIP
meeting. Here is
the connection info:

====Second Friday of the month, 4PM EST====
https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/618011013

Agenda items:
First - the poster about our cluster, due July 15
a general overview of our cluster and activities. All collaboration
areas were asked to create these, the ESIP staff will print them.

Draft:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ciNoU4-Zr4IKmAyNIzE69hB9otmGMqBytedRBI-1WEY/edit?usp=sharing
It should be editable by all

Poster has two main features
A. the role-based data ecosystem that Shelly and Erin created
B. text in bullet pts for each of the three activity areas - mostly
gleaned from the Tempe notes.
If you need the graphic reply and I'll send it individually. The text is
reproduced below this msg, in case for some reason you cannot see the
google link, but still want to approve content.

Second agenda item:
the meeting itself:
questions:
Gap session:
do we have our speakers for Gap analysis? Margaret (self) and Matt have
been on the calls, but I have not heard from Kerstin. Cynthia, have you?

ROI session:
several people who have been on that project have said they won't be
able to attend on Thursday (Anne, Nancy). Without them, what are we
doing at that session?

thanks -
Margaret

--------
Text from the poster:

RETURN ON INVESTMENT:
Develop a framework for describing the Return on Investment (ROI) in
data repositories

Goal:
Quantitative and qualitative methods for studying ROI

Initial task: Literature review of what has already been done in this
area. Summarize and discuss (Summer 2016):
Categories of repository stakeholders
Reason(s) for carrying out the analysis
How were similarities/differences among data repositories defined or
discussed?
How is value to stakeholders defined / discussed?
What metrics used to measure the value?

COMMON TECHNICAL VISION:
Consistent repository design focused on sustaining data, rather than the
repositories themselves

Goals:
Sustainability of data, not the repositories themselves
Better adherence to standards, robust interoperability in spite of
dependencies
Unified framework, e.g., an implementation plan sitting above the OAIS
reference model

Initial task: compile a list of existing frameworks and architecture

GAP ANALYSIS:
Describe the landscape of data services offered by repositories and
identify gaps

Goals:
Define features of repositories, e.g., strengths, communities served,
connections among them
Understand their approaches to cross-repository shared infrastructure,
services and tools
Determine where users may require improved services
Help users to decide what repositories match their needs

Initial task: examine COPDESS, re3data

Margaret O'Brien
Information Management
Marine Science Institute, UCSB