[Esip-usability] methods for auto-generating structured metadata

Beth Huffer beth at lingualogica.net
Fri Jan 5 11:24:28 EST 2018

Hello,

The Metadata Enhancement Task Force, a sub-committee of the Research
Data Alliance Data Discovery Paradigms Interest Group, is investigating
methods for auto-generating structured metadata. Enhancing the metadata
records associated with research data improves search and supports
automation services such as data processing workflows.

The Task Force is currently developing a survey to collect information
on methods and tools for auto-generating metadata, including related
information such as inputs and outputs of each method - i.e., what
source materials are being leveraged and what kind of metadata is being
generated from them, and high-level use cases for the metadata being
generated.

If you are currently working on metadata enhancement methods, or are
interested in finding out more about work being done in this area, we
would welcome your participation in one of two ways:  1) Join our task
force and help us in conducting our investigation; and/or 2) participate
in our survey about automated methods, tools and techniques for metadata
enhancement.

Please indicate your interest by replying to this message, or directly
emailing beth at lingualogica.net. If you would like only to participate in
our survey, we will send you a link when the survey is ready. We look
forward to hearing from you.

Thank you very much,
Beth Huffer and SiriJodha Khalsa