[Esip-citationguidelines] Fwd: [Rdaeu-gede-do] Many actions on FDO in 2020

Parsons, Mark parsom3 at rpi.edu
Thu Jan 16 11:50:27 EST 2020

I haven’t read this yet, but it’s definitely relevant to this group. (FDO=FAIR Digital Objects).

Talk soon.

cheers,

-m.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Wittenburg, Peter" <Peter.Wittenburg at mpi.nl<mailto:Peter.Wittenburg at mpi.nl>>
Subject: [Rdaeu-gede-do] Many actions on FDO in 2020
Date: 16 January 2020 at 10:20:39 EST
To: "rdaeu-gede-do at mpcdf.mpg.de<mailto:rdaeu-gede-do at mpcdf.mpg.de>" <rdaeu-gede-do at mpcdf.mpg.de<mailto:rdaeu-gede-do at mpcdf.mpg.de>>, "Carsten Baldauf (baldauf at fhi-berlin.mpg.de<mailto:baldauf at fhi-berlin.mpg.de>)" <baldauf at fhi-berlin.mpg.de<mailto:baldauf at fhi-berlin.mpg.de>>

Dear GEDE-DO colleagues,

Let me first wish you all the best for the New Year and apologies for the silence during the last weeks. Much was and is going on and we would like to inform you about a few activities
1.       We finished finally our paper on scientific use cases for FDO. Thanks to those who found the time to present such a use case. We tried to mention all these cases knowing that there are more in the various communities. I attached the version we submitted to a journal.
2.       We merged the C2CAMP list with the GEDE-DO list to simplify actions.
3.       We had meetings in several places (Washington, Helsinki, Paris, Beijing) about FDOs with a meeting in Paris coming to conclusions about setting up a light weight organisation and a Technical Implementation Group. We are currently moving forward to get this in place and the GEDE-DO group will be involved. We also finalised a declaration (attachment) which we would like to ask all of you to sign either as individual or for an institution. Early signers should send a clear statement to Zsuzsanna (zsuzsanna.szeredi at gmail.com<mailto:zsuzsanna.szeredi at gmail.com>) until 31.1.2020. We will start making a special web-site and would like to have as many supporters as possible. All info about about the FDO and the FDO Framework can be found here: https://github.com/GEDE-RDA-Europe/GEDE/tree/master/FAIR%20Digital%20Objects
4.       The FDO activities were mentioned prominently by A. Veispak in Helsinki and Michel Schoupe in Budapest (both EC) which means that the concept is now on the radar of decision makers.
5.       We already contacted all colleagues who provided scientific use cases for FDO with respect to a large proposal to the EC to start implementation work. Please, let us know whether you have additional use cases that may add substance to a proposal. We will certainly take measures to organise the interested community, to have forums for exchange, etc. We intend to include international experts as well.

So please check whether you can sign the attached support declaration until 31.1.2020 and send an email to Zsuzsanna.

If you have questions, please, do not hesitate to contact me or Zsuzsanna. The GEDE-DO co-chairs, Dimitris and Koenraad, are engaged in all these activities as well, i.e. you could also contact them.

best regards
Peter

Peter Wittenburg          Skype: peterwittenburg1   Mobile: +49 15141858784
peter.wittenburg at mpcdf.mpg.de<mailto:peter.wittenburg at mpcdf.mpg.de>; www.mpcdf.mpg.de/~pewi<http://www.mpcdf.mpg.de/~pewi>
GotoChannel: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/359097749
ORCID-Nr: 0000-0003-3538-0106
Senior Advisor Max Planck Computing and Data Facility and GWDG Göttingen
Member of DONA and GOFAIR Foundation Boards
Senior Advisor Vision & Values Inc., Mobile: +49 15159062731