[Esip-citationguidelines] Takeaways from winter meeting

Parsons, Mark parsom3 at rpi.edu
Tue Jan 21 15:37:53 EST 2020

Buenos dias amiges,

We have been requested to provide three takeaways from our session at Winter Meeting at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VHv0uq-Cgcvmju1dr2ES6Och1j8uwK5SVpL7ALf7uiI/edit?usp=sharing

I have entered the following:

Linden Oak

Thursday, 2020-01-09 12:00 EST

Research Object Citation Cluster Working Session<https://2020esipwintermeeting.sched.com/event/XriC/research-object-citation-cluster-working-session#>

What is a ‘thing’? ‘Research object’ is a defined term in other communities. Our conception is broader. Perhaps we need a new term, but much of the issue is defining when something becomes a ‘thing’ that is named and located.

The particular citation use case matters a lot. Reproducibility demands different considerations than credit. The cluster will consider more use cases.

There appears to be  classes of things that can be treated similarly, but we haven’t sorted that out yet.

Edit at will. Preferably in the google doc.

cheers,

-m.