[ESIP-ResearchArtifactCitation] RRIDs

Daniel Katz d.katz at ieee.org
Tue Mar 28 13:57:26 EDT 2023

I've had lots of discussions with Anita B. (from SciCrunch <https://www.scicrunch.com/>, which manages RRIDs) about them. We've had fairly strong disagreements about the role of RRIDs for software, but mostly come to the agreement that they are ok to use for software packages (not versions but overall concepts - all versions) in the life sciences.

Other disciplines have other PIDs that they use for software, which is confusing and difficult.

This is unlike data, where DOIs have become standard.

For more on repository and registry practices related to software, see https://scicodes.net/ and https://arxiv.org/abs/2012.13117

Dan

> On Mar 28, 2023, at 12:41 PM, Diana via Esip-citationguidelines <esip-citationguidelines at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am wondering if this group has ever discussed RRIDs? In my brief review, the system appears to target the life sciences, but may be able to address the repository question that we have discussed(?)
>

>  Warm regards
> Diana

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> EXERPT:
> RIDs are not for citing ideas or data since well-developed citation systems already exist for that. Instead, RRID numbers are created by repositories that distribute the research resource, such as Addgene for plasmids, or the National Xenopus Resource for transgenic frogs.
> <giac058.pdf>

Daniel S. Katz
Chief Scientist, NCSA
Research Associate Professor, CS