[Esip-meetings] Some suggestions for the your Summer (my Winter) ESIP meeting

Lesley Wyborn lesley.wyborn at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 15 22:27:45 EDT 2021

Dear all

As I said I would send at the board meeting, here are some suggestions for the next Summer Meeting

  1.  Australian Friendly times for some sessions
Maybe it is the passing of Peter Fox, but in the last couple of weeks I have had several inquiries about getting the E2SIP cluster getting more active and getting better coordination with the equivalent clusters in ESIP. However, it is a fact that there is greater participation of Australians in some ESIP clusters and breakouts. Is there any chance I could liaise with you as to which sessions would be better run in the later afternoon sessions so that we can drum up greater participation from Australia?

  1.  The Plenary Breakout Session
This was only started a couple of meetings back, but for Australia it has been really successful – that is we have one breakout session that is the only one at that time block and happens to be one that is very topical and of high interest. Again, that has been run late in the afternoon when we could get more Australian participation.

  1.  Land Acknowledgement
Land Acknowledgements were done so beautifully at the last Winter meeting, and I was touched by everyone personalising it more to their local community rather than acknowledging where the meeting was theoretically being held.  Thinking also of Ken Casey at our board meeting this week, and the need to personalise rather than just read out the standard text, I was wondering if we could ask each person who does a local land acknowledgement to have a photo of the local ‘country’ they are acknowledging and/or photos of artefacts? It would also help bring out the diversity of the areas that the ESIP community comes from.

  1.  A way to celebrate Peter Fox
Just seeing all that is on the tribute board and listening to his celebration of life service, you realise the diversity of what Peter did and all the many things he started (ranging from projects through to international infrastructures). Rather than having a retrospective session on what he did, I am wondering if we could have a collection of referenceable scientific posters of things that highlight not just that Peter started, but that the posters also have an emphasis on where they are going. For example, E2SIP, the WDS, Data Science as a profession, the semantic cluster (and I wonder how many others there are) were started by Peter, but they are all heading places? It will not just be a wonderful scientific collection, but it will be an inspiration to the current and future generations of what we need to keep going.

Take care

Lesley