[Esip-meetings] 2023 ESIP Theme

Megan Carter megancarter at esipfed.org
Wed Oct 5 16:50:09 EDT 2022

Hi All,

After discussion amongst the staff and with this Committee's Chair, Denise,
we have arrived at our 2023 ESIP Theme: *Opening Doors to Open Science*.
This is a nod to open science that also acknowledges that there is a lot to
the topic (both opportunities and challenges).

*What we need next: *a brief paragraph describing the theme in more detail.
This is used especially for soliciting session proposals, but also as a way
to help folks decide if they want to come to our meeting. As an example, I
have pasted what we wrote for last year's theme. It would be great to have
a draft of this paragraph from the Meetings Committee by October 17.
Perhaps it can be drafted in our regular meeting notes here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/10D04u_nVW17LM8lveQKNbLTmOkRdoQVIC_V9fklg4JE/edit>
.

Thank you and please let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Megan

Example from the last meeting:
Relevance to this year’s theme, *Data for All People: From Data Generation
to Data Use and Understanding*. Contributions on any aspect of this theme
are welcome. Potential topics you might touch on include: How is trust
built for Earth science and related data? How does data get to those who
need it? All people, including data professionals, researchers, public
officials, and communities all need access to usable data and information.
Earth science data in particular can play a critical role in
decision-making, especially in conjunction with other data. How does
technology, data literacy, and transparency of process influence data
generation to data use and understanding?