[Esip-sample-curation] Review of SPNHC 2022 poster

Sarah Ramdeen sramdeen at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri May 13 10:32:03 EDT 2022

Hello Everyone,

As a reminder, the cluster has a poster at the SPNHC 2022 meeting in June.
The poster is on our sample sharing guidelines.  The abstract is copied
below.

The poster session will be virtual, and* the poster is due to SPNHC later
today*.  If you have time, please review the current draft and make any
edits, suggestions, or comments.  We haven't quite finished the poster so
it may be a bit rough, any feedback would be appreciated.

I would say the main function of this poster is to raise awareness in the
natural history collections community about our efforts on sample sharing
guidelines, and to encourage them to comment on our draft (*I will make a
different public version that is comment only to link to on the poster*) or
to join our monthly calls to contribute to the effort.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1WFZxiYaIq2ao-yEcn7oMakIylvBgd1WoL1a2qVinJgw/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!
Sarah

Abstract:
Specimen and sample citation is a complex topic. Journals have varying
recommendations for listing materials examined; there are varying standards
for listing specimen identifiers; and some journals still do not provide
space for listing all materials examined in a sufficiently detailed manner.
However, while it is challenging, citation is also crucial for making
samples and specimens a part of the research data ecosystem.  Citation
makes specimens more accessible for reuse, helps support the
reproducibility of studies that use specimens, and is important in
measuring the impact of natural history collections.

The Earth Science Information Partners’s (ESIP) Physical Samples Curation
Cluster is currently working to develop author guidelines and
recommendations for physical samples (including natural history specimens).
The Physical Samples Curation Cluster is a forum for the community
supporting physical samples in the earth, space, and environmental sciences
which includes but is not limited to geological, marine and biological
samples and specimens.These guidelines are intended to help journals and
publishers communicate expectations for authors. Our aim is to improve the
discoverability of specimens/samples in the future such that they can be
used by all researchers, from sample generation to sample use and
understanding. Our group is developing these guidelines through monthly
calls and at twice yearly ESIP meetings. We hope to be done by July – but
we need the help of the SPNHC community.

In this presentation, we will share our progress to date and solicit
feedback on our guidelines. We plan to have our first draft of guidelines
available by May and input from the SPNHC community will be crucial in
ensuring that these guidelines are broadly applicable. We are working with
the American Geophysical Union (AGU) as the first adopter and model for
these guidelines but hope they will be of use to other communities. We are
reaching out to the SPNHC community to learn more about your concerns and
priorities related to biodiversity specimen citation which might be
incorporated into the guidelines or community specific variations.

Andrea K. Thomer | University of Michigan School of Information |
athomer at umich.edu
Adam Mansur | Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History |
mansura at si.edu
Lesley Wyborn | Australian National Data Service | lesley.wyborn at ardc.edu.au
Chris Erdmann | American Geophysical Union | cerdmann at agu.org
Shelley Stall | American Geophysical Union | sstall at agu.org