[Esip-sample-curation] Update from this month's call/Session at RDA

Sarah Ramdeen sramdeen at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Jun 21 12:54:40 EDT 2022

Hello all,

*Planning for July session*
We are about a month out from the July meeting.   We want to continue
working on the guidelines during our session.  The focus will be the
untouched sections of the document (Peer Review, Paper Acceptance, Data
Availability Statement).

Val and I will be holding a working session on July 6th at 4pm ET to plan
for how to use the session time. I set up a zoom room for anyone interested
in joining:
Zoom link:
https://columbiauniversity.zoom.us/j/92749102684?pwd=SGZPbkVuZ1RwcU5VWXEwbWlOY2JZZz09
Meeting ID: 927 4910 2684
Passcode: 549261

Reminder - we will have a series of lightning talks focused on community
updates. If you have a topic you would like to present, let us know so we
can add you to the agenda.

*RDA session summary*
Last night was the "Harmonising Citations, Acknowledgements and Credit for
Physical Samples/Specimen in Scholarly Publications" session hosted by the
RDA Physical Samples Interest Group.  Here is a link to the session
materials:

   - Session description
   <https://www.rd-alliance.org/plenaries/rda-19th-plenary-meeting-part-international-data-week-20%E2%80%9323-june-2022-seoul-south-korea-32>
   - Session Slides
   <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1RN974jkZBtjVuFYZ5b3ooG6jpiCxeRZx/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=111725923622089120733&rtpof=true&sd=true>
(slides
   18-28)
   - Notes from breakout discussion
   <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Oi8k-mhSE3Rt0FI0L3m1wz3u3hGMd_eFDwbleFnLp58/edit?usp=sharing>

There were 25 attendees in the session.  The session was running behind by
about 15 minutes, so instead of doing a break out activity, we held a
discussion as a group on two topics that need to be addressed in our
guidelines (see below).

   - Where to put sample acknowledgement/availability statement/citation
   format? Does this go in the appendix/supplement?
   - What is the suggested formatting for a sample citation (be inclusive
   of large batches of samples)?

See the notes document above for the feedback received during the
discussion.  Overall there were positive responses to our work.  It was
suggested that we 1) look at how data recommendations are handling these
questions, 2) make sure the citations are part of the publication so they
are crawled, and 3) make whatever suggestions easy to implement.

Tonight I will be presenting our guidelines in one more RDA session, "Near
and Far: Highlighting Emerging Earthbound and Planetary Data Informatics
Systems" hosted by the ESIP/RDA Earth, Space, and Environmental Sciences
Interest Group.  If anything important comes up from the meeting, I will
pass it along (this one is just a 5 minute lightning talk).

Thanks!
Sarah
--
Dr. Sarah Ramdeen