[Esip-sample-curation] Update on ESIP Sample Cluster Activities

Joan Damerow JoanDamerow at lbl.gov
Tue May 9 16:01:07 EDT 2023

Hi all,

We want to provide an update on activities and plans for the Physical
Samples Curation Cluster in the coming weeks leading up to the ESIP summer
meeting in July. Here is what we are working on, and need your continued
participation in:

   -

   Finalize sample guidance document (note that we recently created a new
   version): Physical Samples and Sample Related Data Sharing Guidance for
   Authors Submitting to AGU journals
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pifZ2_Y2PmDpNqKbjI0LFnd82YeM1ea97eEweLMkyxE/edit#>.
   The goal of this document is to provide basic recommendations to authors
   submitting sample-related papers to make their samples and associated data
   more FAIR. We specifically address 1) assigning identifiers, 2) describing
   samples, 3) archiving samples and data, and 4) referencing/citing samples.
   We need a complete draft of this document before the summer meeting, and
   will provide a summary of all recommendations in the meeting. We need help
   with this: please let us know if you can claim a particular section (see
   topics below for June 13 and 27), and/or provide a general review of the
   document.
   -

   Associated paper (this will be our next activity that will expand on the
   guidance to discuss needs to enable sample use tracking): A Guide to
   Planning and Publishing Sample Related Research, and Needs for Sample Use
   Tracking (Link to outline
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/15AQOMJjvRN6mur0DPbzBLmRpgYOCur8BqEkWN4LaCuU/edit#>
   ).
   -

   ESIP Summer Meeting Sessions - we just submitted two proposals for
   samples, will follow up when we have more info on what is accepted for the
   meeting.
   -

      How can we connect and track use of physical samples and associated
      data
      <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SmFa6RZ19-9ospmxtbFvS2AVuEixgl6od3-u1lT7fsw/edit>
      ?
      -

      Samples and SESAR
      <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iduja0luG0K3dcvVmQwcpXrs29W21382Pi-RUPh4MxQ/edit>

To make progress on these items, particularly the guidance document, we
have specific topics outlined for our upcoming cluster meetings. Mark your
calendars for the following:

   -

   May 23 (5 pm ET): SESAR updates. We will send a separate email with more
   info on this session, but the organizers are planning to provide updates on
   SESAR and are hoping to get feedback from the community
   -

   June 13 (12 pm ET): Complete draft of the following sections, and
   present summary slides that we can use in the ESIP summer session, time for
   feedback/discussion
   -

      Assign identifiers
      -

      Describe samples
      -

      Archive samples and data
      -

   June 27 (5 pm ET): Complete draft of the following sections, and present
   summary slides that we can use in the session, time for feedback/discussion
   -

      Reference/cite samples used in papers
      -

         Cite Sample Dataset in Reference Section
         -

         Methods Section
         -

         Data Availability Statement
         -

   July 11 (12 pm ET): Planning ESIP session
   -

   Week of July 18: Summer Meeting

We look forward to seeing you in our upcoming cluster meetings, and
in-person during the ESIP summer meeting!

Thank you,

The Physical Sample Curation Cluster Co-Chairs
Joan Damerow, Andrea Thomer, and Val Stanley

--
Joan E. Damerow
Scientist