[Esip-sample-curation] Update on ESIP Sample Cluster Activities

Joan Damerow JoanDamerow at lbl.gov
Thu Jun 8 15:20:24 EDT 2023

Hi all,

We need to cancel next week's cluster meeting, and are therefore revising
our plan for upcoming discussions (see below). Instead of meeting next
week, we want to encourage you all to please contribute to the sample
sharing guidance document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pifZ2_Y2PmDpNqKbjI0LFnd82YeM1ea97eEweLMkyxE/edit#>.
We have particularly been working on the identifier,  metadata, and
archiving sections recently (which we need to simplify and cut down). And,
will also work more on referencing samples section in the coming weeks
before our June 27 meeting.  As we will discuss in upcoming meetings, our
plan is to submit an associated paper on this (in addition to submitting to
AGU journals as a guidance document), and of course all who contribute will
be listed as co-authors.

Plan for upcoming cluster meetings:

   -

   June 27 (5 pm ET): Discuss finalizing sample sharing guidelines and
   presentation on this for the ESIP summer meeting
   -

      Assign and use identifiers for samples
      -

      Describe samples
      -

      Archive samples and data
      -

      Reference/cite samples used in papers
      -

   July 11 (12 pm ET): Planning ESIP session
   -

   Week of July 18: Summer Meeting! There are two sample sessions,
   scheduled for the following times

   1. How can we connect and track use of physical samples and associated
      data? - Wed July 19 2 pm ET
      2. SESAR and IGSN updates - Thurs, July 20 at 4:30 pm ET

Thank you for your participation, and we look forward to seeing many of you
in cluster meetings, and in-person at the ESIP summer meeting!

Best regards,
ESIP Sample Curation Cluster co-chairs
Joan Damerow
Val Stanley