[ESIP-all] Data Set Publications

Bob Chen bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
Sun May 4 18:00:55 EDT 2003

Vanessa et al.--

The Committee on Data for Science and Technology (CODATA) of the
International Council for Science (ICSU) now publishes the Data
Science Journal, an online peer-reviewed journal focused on the
management of scientific and technological data and databases. The
journal is accessible at:

http://www.datasciencejournal.org/

The journal began in 2002 and has published three issues to date.
The scope of the journal is listed below.

The journal submission instructions don't appear to have any explicit
instructions regarding the citation of datasets. If you're interested,
I can ask the Editor and/or the Journal Subcommittee of the CODATA
Executive Board about this (I'm a member of the Executive Board, but
not this subcommittee).

If you have any specific questions about the journal, please let me
know.

Cheers, Bob.

*****
Dr. Robert S. Chen
Deputy Director, Center for International Earth Science Information Network
 (CIESIN), The Earth Institute, Columbia University
Manager, NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC)
P.O. Box 1000, 61 Route 9W, Palisades, NY 10964 USA
tel. +1 845-365-8952; fax +1 845-365-8922
e-mail: bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
CIESIN World Wide Web site: http://www.ciesin.columbia.edu
SEDAC World Wide Web site: http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu

Data

    * Data capture, synthesis, analysis, evaluation; metadata; data
generation
    * Data structures; data storage, indexing, retrieval;
    * Data exchange and sharing;
    * Data display and manipulation;
    * Data dissemination strategies; printing, CD-ROM, internet;
* Data quality, data consistency, data standards;

Database

    * Database planning, design, maintenance; archiving;
    * Interfacing databases to the internet; to other systems, to data
products; interoperability;
    * Database standards; compatibility; federated databases;
    * Data mining, data science;
    * Human-computer interfaces; visualisation in databases;
    * Use of database packages, commercial issues; distributed
databases;
    * Legal issues, intellectual property rights; data policy; data
access;
* Financial management, pricing, charging, marketing, selling;
e-commerce;

Applications

    * Industrial applications, industrial requirements;
    * Adding intelligence to data systems, data modelling;
* Novel applications; case studies; interdisciplinary systems