[ESIP-all] Nominations for the Falkenberg Award

Annette Schloss annette.schloss at unh.edu
Fri Sep 12 18:22:48 EDT 2003

Hi Everyone,

  many thanks to Dave Jones for his eloquent words on our loss on 911.
I want to use this opportunity to tell everyone that nominations for
the 2004 Charles S. Falkenberg Award through the AGU are now being
accepted.  The deadline is October 15, which is not very far away.

We need nominations!  The AGU will not consider giving any awards if
there are less than 3 nominees.  In 2003, we had the minimum number.  I
am asking all of you to beat the bushes for "young scientists (under
age 45) who have made not only an original contribution to the field of
Earth science but have also strived to achieve significant public
awareness of the importance of understanding our planet."

Nominating someone is fairly simple, it involves writing a letter to
the AGU and soliciting 3-6 other letters of support (see
http://www.agu.org/inside/awardnom.html for the complete instructions.)

Please, everyone, send this email to your colleagues, beat the bushes,
and nominate the young scientists in your organization!  We want the
Falkenberg Award to be an important, meaningful award for the
Federation, for AGU, and in Charlie's memory.

many thanks,
-Annette

Dr. Annette L. Schloss
Complex Systems Research Center