[ESIP-all] A similar AGU special session

Ben Domenico ben at unidata.ucar.edu
Fri Jul 23 16:12:37 EDT 2004

Hi,

Apparently many groups have proposed similar special sessions for the Fall
AGU meeting.  It might be a good idea to consider coordinating some of
these for next year into a more permanent session relating to
infrastructure issues that cut across the traditional disciplinary session
topics.

I'll attach a brief description of the session we're involved with.

--Ben
   Ben Domenico                Unidata Deputy Director
   http://my.unidata.ucar.edu            P.O. Box 3000
   ben at unidata.ucar.edu              Boulder, CO 80307
   (303)497-8631                    FAX: (303)497-8690

"Cyberinfrastructure for Earth Systems Science"

A special session at the Fall AGU meeting

The goal of the session is to explore the need for interoperable data
systems that support the Earth systems approach to issues cutting across
the traditional sub-disciplines of the geosciences as well as societal
impacts (i.e., atmospheric, oceanographic, hydrologic and solid Earth).
Abstracts should address scientific areas that require integrated
observational data and forecasting systems from these disciplines.

Examples might include the interoperable data systems needed to understand
flash flood or landslide conditions in drainage basins. Datasets needed to
study these processes include digital elevation, land use, moisture
saturation, radar, precipitation forecasts, stream flow, local citizen
observations, demographics, and infrastructure. Similar needs for
integrated data systems could be documented for coupled ocean/atmosphere
modeling, climate studies related to El Nino/La Nina, as well as a wide
variety of plume dispersion issues in the atmosphere and hydrosphere.

See further elaboration of the session in a draft web page I'm working  on
at:
<http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/projects/THREDDS/BenStuff/Documents/AGUcifess.htm>

The deadline for abstracts seems to be early September.  See details at
<http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm04/>