[ESIP-all] A TERRA-YEAR! (come see us at booth 3010 at NSTA)

Patricia Reiff reiff at rice.edu
Thu Mar 29 07:41:36 EDT 2007

The 2006 stats are in, and WOW!

In addition to all our metrics of students served in big planetarium
theaters and our small portable theaters (35,000 in portables in the
Houston area alone), we are delighted to relate that

1.  A newly submitted paper shows statistically significant learning
from grades 3-12 in a single presentation in a portable dome
[Sumners et al., 2006, 2007]  - one paper in the International
Planetarium Society conference proceedings and a longer version
submitted 2007 to Advances in Space Research.  (copy of the paper on
request...)  Pre/post tests conducted at a Native American school in
the "four corners" area, in three classes of hispanic student in the
Brownsville area, and in urban schools.

2.  Web stats of downloads of NASA data, imagery, animations and web-
sizes of our movies through our "earth" server surpassed a TERABYTE
in 2006!
Here are the numbers for 2006:  Unique IP's:  227,511;  total
download 1026 GB!

3.  New PAID partners well surpass the original partners of the grant.
Our CAN was designed to become financially self-sustaining, and again
WOW.
The original partners, HMNS (Houston), CMNH (Pittsburgh), LASM (Baton
Rouge), OMSI (Portland), Lodestar (Albuquerque), and Rice have now
been joined by:

Havens Foundation (Indiana)
Tupper Planetarium (New York)
Castle Challenger Center (California)
Lawrence Hall of Science (California)
Stockton School District (California)
Great Explorations (Oregon)
Jordan Planetarium (Maine)
Kramer Entertainment (Michigan)
Farmington Museum (New Mexico)

In addition, the following FOREIGN partners have purchased products
developed using this NASA CAN or its partners.

Hamilton Planetarium, AUSTRALIA
Cosmodome, AUSTRALIA
Israel National Museum, ISRAEL
Asha Kiran School, INDIA
University of Glasgow, SCOTLAND
Eugenides Planetarium, Athens, GREECE
Ursa Astronomical Association, FINLAND
CosmoDream, KOREA
Yang-Gu Planetarium, KOREA

I'm delighted to say that we are on the SUNNY SIDE of the balance of
payments!

4.  Lastly, for fun, here are some recent thank-you notes from
grateful students: