[ESIP-all] ESIP Client Side Technology Infusion Working Group WELCOME and help!

Bruce Caron bruce at tnms.org
Fri Oct 12 17:28:47 EDT 2007

Hello ESIP ALL:

This is an INVITATION to participate in a new ESIP Federation working
group.

If you are already a member of the Interop. Committee you have
received this same invitation  (SORRY for the duplication).

ALL ESIP members are invited to participate.

At its last telecon the Interoperability Committee agreed to a new
working group to focus on issues of software/clients working outside
the browser environment...

I'm working to get this group going, so we can gather at the Winter
Meeting, elect a WG chair, and keep talking/working out the problems
we face.

FOR NOW, the working group will send emails through the ESIP-
Interoperability listserve... if these get to numerous, we will start
an independent listserve.

HERE IS HOW TO JOIN:

1) If you are not already a member of the Interop listserve, Please
ask KARL to sign you up:

kbene at edac.unm.edu

2)

THERE IS a preliminary survey We hope EVERYBODY WILL do (6
questions... 5 minutes, HONEST!).

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=J_2bDjib3DHU5ueThgt_2bA4Pw_3d_3d

3)

ALSO we have a page on the ESIP wiki:

http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/
Client_Side_Technology_Infusion_Working_Group

PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME TO THE MEMBER LIST...

WELCOME to all who want to join!  Thanks to everyone for your time on
the survey.

ANY QUESTIONS? email me: bruce at tnms.org

HERE IS THE TEXT OF THE WIKI PAGE  FYI:
The Client Side Technology Infusion Working Group looks directly at
issues of data access, analysis, and display in the world outside the
Internet browser environment. Today, as it was ten years ago,
probably 95% of the scientists who use NASA/NOAA (etc.) data sets do
so with commercial software products such as Matlab, IDL, ENVI, or
ARCgis.

While browser-based access offers an important new avenue of access
for these data resources, new, non-browser-based software products
are also emerging that offer services as stand-alone applications.
Google Earth, World Wind, and My World GIS are examples of newly
published software for accessing earth data/images.

At the same time, new data service chains are being built that help
solve many of the data access issues that all data users face.
Emerging server standards, such as the WMS/WFS/WCS standards also
open up data access to new users.

Serving new users, from decision makers to high-school students, will
require services and client interfaces that are tailored to the
specific needs of each group. The one-size-fits-all software or
browser-based solution is not sufficient. This means that existing
client-side solutions will need to be expanded and new solutions
found. Some will be browser-based, some will be added code to the big
software products--commercial software user communities in the earth
sciences have long been sharing code and information about data
access problems and solutions--and some will be custom software.

The CSTI Working Group will look at the entire range of client-side
needs and resources to see where future work can help bring NASA/NOAA
data resources into the hands of key players and stakeholders.

Here is a preliminary list of issues the CSTI WG will examine:

Current data access issues for commercial software users (e.g., WCS
client issues in IDL)
Data format issues, such as KML export/import
Interoperability between non-browser clients and proposed web services
Registering client capabilities for SOA and other web-based services
User interface design best practices
  ???? What's your top issue?

cheers

bruce caron