[ESIP-all] Job opening at ORNL DAAC
Wilson, Bruce E.
wilsonbe at ornl.gov
Thu Feb 28 17:33:33 EST 2008
Ecological Data and Metadata Scientist
The Environmental Sciences Division of Oak Ridge National Laboratory
(ORNL) has an opening for an Ecology Metadata and Data Scientist,
working primarily in the Distributed Active Archive Center for
Biogeochemical Dynamics (ORNL DAAC; http://daac.ornl.gov). This team
is part of the Environmental Data Science and Systems Group, which
includes two other ecology and climate science data centers
(http://www.esd.ornl.gov/research/environ_data_systems/). The successful
applicant will be involved in a range of data management activities,
including developing and updating metadata associated with archive data
sets, managing Web site content relating to the DAAC Archive and the
FLUXNET network, updating and validating database records describing the
archive holdings, and performing quality assurance checks on new and
existing data sets.
Required skills and experience:
* A Bachelors or higher degree is required, preferably in an
ecology or climate science related field. Applicants with a degree in a
physical or biological science combined with relevant experience in
ecology, climate, or environmental science will be considered.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
* An interest in the collection and management of data and
metadata relating to ecology and climate science.
* The ability to work in a multidisciplinary, multiproject team
* Some background in data analysis. Experience working with
ecology, climate science, or environmental data is preferred, and
experience in a research environment with this sort of data is
* Experience developing and maintaining one or more Web sites,
including knowledge of HTML. Experience with one or more content
management systems is desirable, as is experience with the organization
and presentation of scientific and technical information.
Desired skills and experience:
* General familiarity with databases, including knowledge of data
manipulation language SQL (select, insert, update, and delete).
* General familiarity with Linux command line tools for editing
and manipulating files.
* Experience in a customer service or customer relations function.
* Familiarity with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) tools and
* A background involving Information Science - methods and
protocols for organizing data for presentation to end users, potentially
including the study of human-computer interactions.
* Experience working with common metadata formats, such as ISO
19115, Dublin Core, Ecological Markup Language (EML), or FGDC.
Security clearance is not required for this position. This position is
open to all applicants authorized to work permanently in the United
States, without regard to citizenship status.
Candidates interested in this position should apply on-line at
ORNL is a multi-program research facility managed by UT-Battelle, LLC,
for the U.S. Department of Energy. ORNL is an equal opportunity
employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse work force.
Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes
will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for
Bruce E. Wilson (wilsonbe at ornl.gov)
Environmental Sciences Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
More information about the ESIP-all