[ESIP-all] ESIP Federation Summer Meeting - Still Time to Register

Carol B. Meyer carol.meyer at earthsciencefoundation.org
Tue Jun 24 16:28:50 EDT 2008

Don't miss the Summer ESIP Federation meeting, July 15-18, 2008 at the
University of New Hampshire.  Register
<http://www.regonline.com/63340_200346M>  now to avoid waiting in line
in New Hampshire.

FUNding Friday
This meeting offers the first-ever FUNding Friday.  FUNding Friday
offers Federation partners who attend the meeting an opportunity to
compete for small project grants.  You pitch your idea in a 25"x30"
poster and those who are present will vote for the best proposals
overall.  We are offering 3 mini-grants at this meeting, each worth
$5,000.  Read the FUNding Friday overview
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/July_16-18,_2008,_ESIP_Federation_Mee
ting,_Durham,_NH#FUNding_Friday_.28July_18.2C_2008.29>  and bring your
best ideas to the meeting.  We are excited about this new effort, and
hope it's the start of more collaborative efforts and new clusters of
activity.

Logistics
The meeting will be held on the campus of the University of New
Hampshire.  Check out the latest agenda
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/July_16-18,_2008,_ESIP_Federation_Mee
ting,_Durham,_NH#Program>  for the meeting, Realizing Our Potential.
The current interest in cyberinfrastructure and virtual organizations
has allowed the ESIP Federation to examine its journey as an early
prototype. The meeting will examine where we have been and where we
might go during our second decade toward realizing the potential of a
collaborative, virtual consortium of Earth science data and applications
professionals.

Hotel accommodations for the 2008 Summer Meeting are being met by 2 area
hotels.
Holiday Inn Express
<http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/durnh?rpb=hotel&crUrl=/h
/d/hi/1/en/hotelsearchresults|> , Durham (2 Main Street, Durham, NH
03824, (603) 868-1234). The rate for a room (single/double) is
$119.95/night (plus tax). Use the group code ESI when your reserving
your room online
<http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/advancedsearch?whichtype=room&
roomResult=none&hotelCode=durnh&quickRes=city&_GPC=ESI&checkInDate=14&ch
eckOutMonthYear=062008&checkInMonthYear=062008&checkOutDate=18&_requesti
d=439551|> .
Comfort Inn
<http://www.comfortinn.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=NH014&sid=cIu
yi.y3S9mgzM4.3|> & Suites, Dover (10 Hotel Drive, Dover, NH 03820,
(603)750-7507). The rate for a room (single/double) is $114/night (plus
tax). Ask for the ESIP-Earth Science Information Partners group rate
when reserving your room at (866) 750-7507.

You can fly into Manchester (MHT), Portland (PWM), or Boston (BOS) to
reach Durham, NH.

Attendee Participation
ESIP Federation meetings are highly participatory.  You can easily get
involved in the program by offering a technical workshop (July 15) or a
breakout session on open meeting day (July 16).  Visit the ESIP
Federation wiki
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/July_16-18,_2008,_ESIP_Federation_Mee
ting,_Durham,_NH#FUNding_Friday_.28July_18.2C_2008.29>  to propose your
session.  Questions about technical workshops should be directed to Karl
Benedict (kbene at edac.unm.edu).

Visit the the meeting page <http://www.esipfed.org/events/>  or
Federation meeting wiki
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/July_16-18,_2008,_ESIP_Federation_Mee
ting,_Durham,_NH>  for more information.

I am looking forward to seeing you in New Hampshire.

Regards,

Carol Meyer

Carol B. Meyer
Interim Executive Director