[ESIP-all] FW: Call for Nominations - NOAA Environmental Hero Awards

Carol Meyer carolbmeyer at esipfed.org
Thu Jan 14 16:09:16 EST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert C.Hansen [mailto:Robert.C.Hansen at noaa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:40 PM
To: _HDQ ALLOED; NOAA.Education.Council
Subject: Call for Nominations - NOAA Environmental Hero Awards

Dear colleagues:

Nominations are now being accepted for the *2010* NOAA Environmental
Heroes Awards. This is a great way to recognize and honor those non-NOAA
individuals and organizations that have made a difference by
volunteering their time to help NOAA carry out its mission
<http://www.noaa.gov/about-noaa.html>. Not only do the awards raise
awareness about NOAA's mission, but they also encourage others to
participate in NOAA volunteer programs
<http://www.volunteer.noaa.gov/index.html>.

The awards will be presented to the Environmental Heroes in conjunction
with Earth Day events in April *2010* and recipients will be featured on
the NOAA Earth Day Web page <http://www.noaa.gov/earthday>.
*
Nominating an individual or organization is easy!* Simply read the
instructions and complete the attached nomination form and share them
with NOAA staff in your line office. Nomination materials also can be
found at http://www.noaa.gov/earthday/nomination.html.

Please note the following deadlines:

    * *Friday, February 12:* Your nominations are due to your line
      offices contact listed below.

        * /*Susan Buchanan*, NOAA's National Weather Service, 301-713-0622J/
        * /*John Leslie*, NOAA's Satellite and Information Service,
          301-713- 2087 x 1/
        * /*Ben Sherman and John Ewald*, NOAA's Ocean Service,
          301-713-3066 /
        * /*Liz Crapo*, NOAA's Fisheries Service, 301-713-2370/
        * /*Jana Goldman*, NOAA Research, 301-734-1123/
        * /*David Hall*, NOAA's Marine and Aviation Operations,
          301-713-7671/
        * /*Robert Hansen*, NOAA's Education Office, 202-482-4594/
        * /*Jerry Slaff*//, NOAA Communications & External Affairs,
          202-482-6098/

**

    * *April 22:* Earth Day - NOAA will officially announce the 2010
      Environmental Heroes by posting them on the NOAA Earth Day Web
      page <http://www.noaa.gov/earthday> by this date.

Although we have education partners in our line offices, this is a
different way (through the education office) to nominate someone or an
organization. These awards started in 1995 and have only skipped one
year (last year); we have had education-related winners nearly every
year. You may submit either to your line office or through me.... or
both. Two years ago we had two winners which were nominated jointly
through Education and their respective line office.