[ESIP-all] summer meeting

Brian Rogan brogan at esipfed.org
Thu Apr 22 11:19:16 EDT 2010

The Earth Science Information Partnership is pleased to announce that
registration is now open for its 2010 summer meeting, July 20 – 23 in
Knoxville, Tennessee. Planning is ongoing for the meeting which features the
theme, Energy and Climate.  The meeting will take place in downtown
Knoxville, a short ride from McGhee Tyson airport, and is co-hosted by the
ORNL DAAC and the University Of Tennessee School Of Information Science.

*Program **
*The program promises to be dynamic and varied.  The theme of the meeting is
Energy and Climate whose highlights include:

- A full day of technical workshops on July 20

- Tom Karl, the head Acting Director of the NOAA Climate Service will speak
during the opening plenary on July 21.   Other speakers have been invited
but not yet confirmed.

- On Wednesday evening there will be a poster session highlighting the work
of participants and, as always, numerous opportunities to network and learn
about new projects.

- The inaugural gathering of the new Energy Cluster. *The objective of this
new Energy Cluster is to provide a forum for impacted organizations to
communicate end user needs, government organizations to discuss policy
constraints and requirements, and data and decision support solution
providers to make the needed tools available to serve those needs.*

- Dedicated tracks focused on Environmental Decision Making, Air Quality,
Water and Data Stewardship, will run on both Wednesday and Thursday

- Two opportunities for educators, sponsored by NOAA

§  NOAA Climate Stewards who are a select group of educators that will
become NOAA climate ambassadors.

§  Another set of education workshops will highlight ESIP partner tools that
can be used in the classroom.  For Educators that are interested in
attending the workshop, funding by NOAA has allowed ESIP to offer $200
stipends for attendees. For more information please contact our Education
Chair, Margaret Mooney <mooney at ssec.wisc.edu>

*Registration*
Registration for the meeting can be found at this
link<https://www.regonline.com/esip_federation_summer_meeting_2010>.
 Early registration (through June 18, 2010) is $375/members and
$475/non-members. After June 18th, the registration fee rises to $475
(members) and $575 (non-members).

As part of the registration process, we are asking registrants to contribute
additional information about their skills, expertise and interests. The
information will be included in our expert skills database and will allow
partners to seek out collaborators. For your time in filling out the online
form to populate the database, we are offering a $20 Starbucks gift card for
members who participate by May 31.  For those who want to enter their expert
skills without registering for the meeting, click
here<http://esipfed.org/expert?LastName=Claus&FirstName=Santa>.

We hope that you can clear your calendar and attend what will be a meeting
that will stimulate a lot of conversations and will help promote
collaborative work in this important area of Energy and Climate.  For any
further questions, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Brian Rogan
Director of Communication and Partnership
Foundation for Earth Science
15 Beecher Place
Newton, MA 02459
617 467 4348 phone