[ESIP-all] New Data Visualization working group

Kevin Ward kevin at eyeonclimate.com
Mon Nov 1 18:50:13 EDT 2010

Fellow ESIPists,

I have been tasked with the creation of a new Data Visualization
working group for ESIP. What does that mean? Well, I'm not 100%
certain yet. I began to create a list of possible topics to scope such
a group and found myself with more leaves and branches than a stand of
oak. Visualization cuts across many of our activities here at ESIP,
both as a means and an end, and there isn't a single ESIP group that
isn't working to either produce or use visuals (and there is a
distinction between those).

To get our feet under ourselves and give us a foundation, I would like
to invite you to join me in the inaugural telecon for this new working
group next Monday, November 8, 2pm EST

    * Number: 877-326-0011
    * Access Code: *9460010*

Our agenda will be (loosely):

* Introductions
* Brief presentation on proposed scope/talking points
* Discussion

I would like to come out of this initial meeting with the
underpinnings of a mission statement plus some ideas for focus points.
As a starting point, I offer up these potential tasks for the group:

* Develop a "best practices" handbook
* Demonstrate and discuss software-specific solutions (COTS)
* Show and tell custom tools/solutions
* Show and tell regarding the development of visualizations of various
types of data (point, raster, vector, 3D, etc.)

If you have thoughts on what topics might be of interest to a
visualization working group within ESIP please feel free to submit
them to me beforehand or bring them to the telecon. There has been so
much interest in visualization recently that the time is right to
address it as a discipline in its own right rather than the byproduct
of any of our individual efforts.

If you are unable to attend but are interested in contributing to the
discussion, please join me on the group listserv --
http://www.lists.esipfed.org/mailman/listinfo/esip-viz -- where I will
also post some manner of minutes as well as other discussion points.

I hope that if your interests lie in this area you will join me on Monday.

Kevin

Kevin Ward
NASA's Earth Observatory
Sigma Space Corporation