[ESIP-all] New Data Visualization working group

Jeff deLaBeaujardiere Jeff.deLaBeaujardiere at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 2 09:58:14 EDT 2010

Hi Kevin et al.-

I will be on travel Monday and not able to join the telecon. The following
topics may be of relevance to your new working group.

One concept that interests me is a "stand-alone" visualization service that
would request numeric data values from a data provider service and produce a
map or possibly some other visualization. For example, we (IOOS - Integrated
Ocean Observing System) have OGC Sensor Observation Service (SOS) instances
that do not necessarily have an associated Web Map Service (WMS). We harvest
SOS metadata for our Catalog, and it would be nice to display glyphs
portraying data values at each buoy location rather than merely showing that
the buoy exists.  We could (and may) build that capability into the Catalog,
but it would be good to expose it as a generic service that can transform data
into a visualization. We could (and might) instead require that all of our
data providers establish their own WMS.

A related topic is the standardization of portrayals.  In IOOS we have not yet
  tried to get agreement on symbology (e.g., buoy, shore station, ship,
glider) or color scales for data. Such standardization is critical if you want
to display layers from multiple remote WMS on the same map (but less so if you
do all the visualization in a central location).

Regards,
Jeff DLB
--
Jeff de La Beaujardière, PhD
U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Jeff.deLaBeaujardiere at noaa.gov