[ESIP-all] Viz Cluster, Monday, 2pm ET: Visualization Case Study: Eyjafjallajökull Ash

Kevin Ward kevin at eyeonclimate.com
Fri Jun 10 13:26:51 EDT 2011

Our past few telecons have consisted of demonstrations of tools that
facilitate visualization of source data. This month we are going to
look at a case study involving the processes and philosophies that go
into developing visualizations for outreach.

I hope you'll join us on Monday, June 13, 2pm ET. Webex/dial-in
information is below the abstract.

Kevin
---------

Robert Simmon, NASA's Earth Observatory
Visualization Case Study: Eyjafjallajökull Ash

Although data visualization is a powerful tool in Earth science, the
resulting imagery is often complex and difficult to interpret for
non-experts. Students, journalists, web site visitors, or museum
attendees often have difficulty understanding some of the imagery
scientists create, particularly false-color imagery and data-driven
maps. Many visualizations are designed for data exploration or peer
communication, and often follow discipline conventions or are
constrained by software defaults. Different techniques are necessary
for communication with a broad audience. Data visualization combines
ideas from cognitive science, graphic design, and cartography, and
applies them to the challenge of presenting data clearly. Visualizers
at NASA's Earth Observatory web site (earthobservatory.nasa.gov) use
these techniques to craft remote sensing imagery for interested but
non-expert readers. Images range from natural-color satellite images
and multivariate maps to illustrations of abstract concepts. I will
use imagery of the eruption of Iceland's Eyjafjallajökull volcano as a
case study, showing specific applications of general design
techniques. By using color carefully (including contextual data),
precisely aligning disparate data sets, and highlighting important
features, we crafted an image that clearly conveys the complex
vertical and horizontal distribution of airborne ash.

Call-in details:
1-877-669-3239
Attendee Access code: 231 025 06#

To Join the web portion of the meeting:
https://esipfed.webex.com/mw0306ld/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=esipfed&service=1

1. Click join next to the meeting name.
    (Note: If the meeting has not yet started, join will not be
visible, and it will say 'Display Info'. Wait a minute and refresh
screen)
2. Enter your name and email address
3. If you are asked for a password, enter the access code: 23102506

Kevin Ward
NASA's Earth Observatory
Sigma Space Corporation
kevin at eyeonclimate.com