[ESIP-all] ESIP IT&I “Rants N Raves” Webinar July 6 2011 1PM CT

Rahul Ramachandran rahul.ramachandran at uah.edu
Sun Jul 3 14:33:57 EDT 2011

All:
The ESIP Information Technology and Interoperability Committee
continues it’s “Rants N Raves’ Webinar series.  The “Rants N Raves”
Webinar provides a platform to any ESIP member to present any
Information Technology and Interoperability related issues, seek
suggestions/ideas or present cool new technology useful to the ESIP
community.

This month's Rants N Raves Presentation: A Drupal-based Metadata
Wizard for USGIN's Minimum Useful Metadata Model

By

Wolfgang Grunberg (now Arizona Game and Fish Department), Ryan Clark
(Arizona Geological Survey), and Steve Richard (Arizona Geological
Survey)

The US Geoscience Information Network (USGIN; http://lab.usgin.org/)
strives to develop and implement the standards and protocols for a
distributed and interoperable geospatial data and metadata sharing
network. For most content owners and managers, established geospatial
metadata standards (such as ISO 19139, FGDC CSDGM) and metadata tools
are in general too difficult, painful, or buggy to adopt without
specialized staffing. Our attempts at solving the practicality issues
we encountered was to go back to a format agnostic metadata model
(http://lab.usgin.org/groups/metadata-interest-group/recommendations-metadata-content-describe-geoscience-resources)
that could be implemented in something as simple as MS Excel
(http://repository.stategeothermaldata.org/uri_gin/aasg/dlio/767) or
as a custom app – the Metadata Wizard (http://mw.usgin.org/). The
Metadata Wizard’s goal was to make metadata creation as painless as
possible while allowing the support of multiple metadata standards and
profiles. We prototyped the Metadata Wizard in the Drupal 6 CMS
because of our familiarity with it and because of Drupal’s extended
library of modules.

Other issues on the agenda:

-	Finalizing the “Science on Drupal” session for the summer meeting
Intro to Drupal : Jerry? Erin?
Show and Tell:
•	Thomas Huang – JPL
•	Bruce Caron – NMRI
•	Helen Conover – GHRC?
•	Jerry Pan – ORNL
•	Rahul Ramachandran – UAH
•	Others?

best,
-Rahul

CALL IN INFO:
+++++++++++
Topic: IT & I July 6, 2011
Time: 1:00 pm, Central Daylight Time (Chicago, GMT-05:00)

Call-In Information:
To start the audio portion of the Personal Conference meeting
Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 1-877-669-3239
Call-in toll number (US/Canada): +1-408-600-3600
Call-in toll number (US/Canada)*: +1-571-918-6008
Global call-in numbers:
https://esipfed.webex.com/esipfed/globalcallin.php?serviceType=MC&ED=9910728&tollFree=1
Toll-free dialing restrictions:
http://www.webex.com/pdf/tollfree_restrictions.pdf

Attendee access code: 231 367 82

* Call-in toll number (US/Canada) should only be used if the primary
number does not work.

To start the online portion of the Personal Conference meeting
1. Go to https://esipfed.webex.com
2. Click the “Meeting Center” tab
3. Select the IT&I meeting
If a password is required, enter the Meeting Password: 23136782

Rahul Ramachandran Ph.D.
Deputy Editor -  Earth Science Informatics [ESIN]
ESIN: http://www.springer.com/12145
Principal Research Scientist III
Information Technology and Systems Center
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Huntsville, AL 35899
Web: www.rramachandran.com
Tel: 256-824-5157