[ESIP-all] ESIP @ AGU: Data Management Workshop, Tues, 1-5 | Ignite at AGU, Wed, 6-8

Erin Robinson erinrobinson at esipfed.org
Fri Dec 2 16:33:11 EST 2011

Hi -

Looking forward to AGU next week! I've prepared an ESIP at AGU cheat
sheet<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/2011_AGU_Events>with all the
details in this email and member sessions I was aware of,
broken down by day. Please spread the word on these sessions and add your
own sessions to the wiki
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/2011_AGU_Events>, so
we can help you publicize! I will tweet and facebook the sessions on the
wiki the day of for some additional press.

I wanted to make sure that two ESIP co-sponsored activities are on your
radar (descriptions below).

   - Data Management 101 for Earth Scientist, Tuesday, Dec. 6 :: 1-5 pm
   :: San Francisco Marriott Marquis, Salons 10-12
   - Ignite at AGU, Wednesday, Dec. 7 :: 6-8 pm :: San Francisco Marriott
   Marquis, Golden Gate Ballroom C1

And all the details...
*Data Management 101 for Earth Scientist, Tuesday, Dec. 6 :: 1-5 pm :: San
Francisco Marriott Marquis, Salons 10-12*

Don’t let science leave you behind. The proliferation of data from all
sources requires today’s scientists to be aware of sound data management
practices. In this free half-day workshop, everything the modern
data-producing scientist needs to know about data management will be
introduced. We will discuss the rationale for data management planning and
the context of US National Science Foundation's requirement for a 2-page
data management plan to accompany every proposal; dealing with data during
the course of your research; creating metadata for discovery, access, use
and archiving, finding and working with a long-term archive; as well as
properly giving credit to other data producers. This workshop is open to
all AGU attendees. Laptops are encouraged and bring a data set you would
like help with. Sponsored by NOAA and the Data Conservancy, and conducted
by the ESIP Federation.

Point of contact: Carol Meyer (carolbmeyer at esipfed.org). Additional
information can be found at
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/2011AGUworkshop. Feel free to share with
your colleagues and students.

*Ignite at AGU, Wednesday, Dec. 7 :: 6-8 pm :: San Francisco Marriott Marquis,
Golden Gate Ballroom C1*

Ignite presenters will have just 5 minutes and 20 automatically advancing
slides to drive home the point of their talk. Learn about all aspects of
Earth applications, from new information on existing projects, ideas to
engage new audiences, innovative techniques for future application, and
information on ways to broaden applications exposure.With Support from the
ESIP Federation, light snacks will be served and cash bar will be
available. Talks will be recorded for those who cannot attend in person.

Point of Contact: Erin Robinson (erinrobinson at esipfed.org). For more
details see: http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Ignite@AGU

Looking forward to seeing many of you.

Thanks!

Erin

*Erin Robinson*
Information and Virtual Community Director
Foundation for Earth Science | 314.369.9954 | erinrobinson at esipfed.org
www.esipfed.org
[image: Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Federation-of-Earth-Science-Information-Partners-ESIP/150015055044779>
 [image: Twitter] <http://www.twitter.com/ESIPFed> [image: