[ESIP-all] FYI: USGCRP "Our Changing Planet" 2012 Report Released

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Wed Feb 29 09:03:04 EST 2012

Our Changing Planet for Fiscal Year 2012 Report Released

Since 1990, the United States Global Change Research Program (USGCRP)
has developed and submitted an annual report, Our Changing Planet, to
Congress describing the current state of the USGCRP and ongoing
Federal research activities focused on global change. This Fiscal Year
2012 edition summarizes the Program’s achievements, progress made,
future priorities, and budgetary information. It thereby responds to
the requirements of the U.S. Global Change Research Act of 1990 (GCRA;
Section 102, P.L. 101-606) for an annual report on "Federal global
change research priorities, policies, and programs."

As described in this year’s Our Changing Planet for Fiscal Year 2012,
the USGCRP will build upon its foundational elements while placing
greater emphasis on several areas identified in its updated decadal
Strategic Plan, which is expected to be released in spring of
2012. Areas of greater emphasis include: advancing the scientific
basis to inform and enable timely decisions on adaptation and
mitigation; building sustained assessment capacity that improves the
Nation’s ability to understand, anticipate, and respond to global
change impacts and vulnerabilities; and increasing public
understanding of global change through improved communications and
educational activities.

The USGCRP is committed to building a knowledge base that informs
human responses to global change through coordinated and integrated
federal programs of research, education, communication, and decision
support.

Download the Report Here:
http://downloads.globalchange.gov/ocp/ocp2012/ocp2012.pdf

There is a section on pp. 33-34 on "Global Change Information" that
introduces a new Global Change Information System (GCIS).  This system
was mentioned in the keynotes of both Tim Killeen and Jack Kaye at the
recent ESIP Winter Meeting.

The ESIP Federation plays a key role in bringing together science,
data and information technology practitioners.  As a complement to the
support of the agencies of the USGCRP, I think this system could take
advantage of the work of ESIP, and really become a showcase for our
efforts in variety of areas.

--
Curt Tilmes, Ph.D.
U.S. Global Change Research Program