[ESIP-all] Big data is Not the Answer; Analytics on Steroids Is!

Dr. Rahul Ramachandran rahul.ramachandran at uah.edu
Thu Jul 5 11:35:33 EDT 2012

My apologies for the mass email. Now that I have your attention, please
consider submitting an abstract to our session exploring the question - Do
we need analytics on steroids for big data in Earth Science?

*Session Details:*
IN016: Data Prospecting, Exploration and Mining – "Big Data" Exploitation
Challenges and Applications in Earth Science

There are typically two types of data analysis, namely, exploration and
mining. Data exploration focuses on manual methods where as Mining uses
automated algorithms to extract useful information. A new approach for
exploiting "big data" is now possible with the availability of high
performance computing and the advent of new techniques for efficient
distributed file access. This new approach coined as "data prospecting"
combines methods from both data exploration and mining.

*This session invites talks focusing on applications, tools and challenges
of exploiting "big data" using different approaches*

*Link:*
http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2012/session-search/single/data-prospecting-exploration-and-mining-big-data-exploitation-challenges-and-applications-in-earth-science/

*Conveners*
Rahul Ramachandran
Sara J Graves
Kwo-Sen Kuo
Glenn K Rutledge

---
Rahul Ramachandran Ph.D.
Deputy Editor | Earth Science Informatics [ESIN]
Principal Research Scientist III | Information Tech. and Systems Center
Adjunct Professor | Dept of Atmospheric Science
University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, AL 35899
www.rramachandran.com | www.itsc.uah.edu/
(w) 256-824-5157 | (f) 256-824-5149
---