[ESIP-all] Request for abstracts for climate literacy sessions at AGU and GSA meetings

Tamara Ledley tamara_ledley at terc.edu
Thu Jul 5 21:37:50 EDT 2012

Hi Everyone,
   I have been coordinating, through the Climate Literacy Network, a set
of climate literacy sessions at both the AGU (American Geophysical Union)
and GSA (Geological Society of America) meetings.  Please consider
submitting abstracts to these sessions.  I am pasting in the titles of the
AGU and GSA session titles, along with the dates of the meeting, abstract
deadline, and link for submission below.  In addition I am attaching files
with the session descriptions.  Last year we were very successful at AGU
with 5 sessions featuring 107 presentations.  This year we have 12
sessions at AGU and 4 sessions at GSA (this includes climate literacy
relevant sessions that were submitted independently and have agreed to
join in our coordination).
   Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing
your abstracts.
Tamara

GSA 2012 Annual Meeting and Exposition – November 4-7, 2012 Charlotte NC
Abstract Deadline August 14, 2012,
http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2012/
T71: Climate Literacy: Educational Research and Evidence of Progress in
Improving Climate Literacy
T75: Climate Literacy: Formal and Informal Educational Activities and
Community Outreach to Support an Informed Society
T79: Communicating Uncertainty in Earth and Climate Science
Session Descriptions

AGU Fall 2012 Meeting – Dec 3-7, 2012 San Francisco CA
Abstract Deadline August 8, 2012, http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2012/
ED004: Climate Literacy: Barriers, Misconceptions, and Progress in
Improving Climate Literacy
ED005: Climate Literacy: Bridging Formal/Informal Learning Environments to
Support Deep Investigations of Climate Science
ED006: Climate Literacy: Education for Decision Makers, Religious
Communities, and Professional Audiences
ED007: Climate Literacy: Enabling Responsible Decisions Through Informal
Education, Public Outreach, and Community Groups
ED008: Climate Literacy: Evidence and Best Practices from Research and
Evaluation
ED009: Climate Literacy: Great Lakes Climate Change Education Initiatives
ED010: Climate Literacy: Higher Education Efforts in Climate Change
Education
ED011: Climate Literacy: Preparing K-12 Students to Address “Next
Generation” Challenges
ED012: Climate Literacy: Transdisciplinary and Interdisciplinary Programs
that Promote Climate Literacy

ED014:  Controversial Topics in Science Education: Why Skeptics are
Winning the Battle and How Lessons from Science Education Can Reverse This
Trend
GC012: Communicating Climate Science – Seeking the Best of Old and New
Paradigms
PA005: Countering Denial and Manufactured Doubt of 21st Century Science
Session Descriptions

Tamara Shapiro Ledley, PhD
Senior Scientist, TERC
2067 Massachusetts Ave