[ESIP-all] Monday Update: Around the Federation Catch-up | Job Opportunities | Fall AGU esip-all Session List

Erin Robinson erinrobinson at esipfed.org
Mon Jul 30 14:33:23 EDT 2012

Hi All -

After a terrific ESIP Summer Meeting the week of July 16, last week was a
bit of recovery. Material from the meeting is being posted to the ESIP
Commons <http://commons.esipfed.org/schedule/Summer%20Meeting%202012>,
where I hope to have the videos of plenary sessions, ppts, posters and
notes by the end of the week. Pictures have been posted to the ESIP
Facebook group <https://www.facebook.com/groups/26532111825/>. If you have
photos from the week, please share there.

Today's update is more of a catch-up of things going on around the
Federation:

DataOne goes live <http://www.dataone.org/news/dataone-goes-live>! As the
earth and environmental sciences evolve to be more data-intensive,
discovering, integrating and analyzing massive amounts of heterogeneous
information becomes critical to enable researchers to address complex
questions about our environment and our role within it. DataONE, the Data
Observation Network for Earth, today released technology capable of
providing researchers access to globally distributed, networked data from a
single point of discovery.

NASA's Earth Observer
newsletter<http://eospso.gsfc.nasa.gov/eos_observ/pdf/July_Aug_2012_col_508.pdf>was
sent out today - One highlight was the 2012 Gregory G. Leptoukh Online
Giovanni Workshop for Scientists, High School, and Undergrad Educators (see
the Giovanni site<http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/giovanni/additional/newsletters/gregory_leptoukh_2012_online_giovanni_workshop>for
details)

*Databib Call for Editors *- Databib, http://databib.org, is a tool for
helping people to identify and locate online repositories of research
data. Nominations
for an Editorial Board are being solicited to ensure the coverage and
accuracy of Databib. The primary role of an Editor is to review, edit, and
approve submissions to Databib and contribute to the enhancement of the
metadata and functionality of Databib for a voluntary, three-year term. The
Editorial Board will meet (virtually) a minimum of twice a year and will
correspond as needed by email. Please send nominations or questions to
databib at gmail.com, or visit http://databib.org/about.php for more
information.

*1-minute Data Viz Survey
*<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dE1nbjgtakRSZElncVE2NkZSdldiY3c6MQ>from
Grad student at RPI

*[JobOpp] GRAVITE Manager *(develop, deploy, operate a science data system
used for NPP/JPSS algorithm, cal/val, and data quality support) For
details: http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/322498200

*[JobOpp] **Algorithm Integration Manager *(science to operations software
integration, operational algorithm change management) For details:
http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/322498600

*Fall AGU*: Reminder that abstracts are due Aug. 8. I have compiled a list
of AGU Sessions sent to ESIP-all in a google
doc<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1epJHLYk-n7OMNkgEQ8uSCGnmPMFQMjIsUoDBpNdP30I/edit>.
It is editable by all. Feel free to add additional sessions that may be of
interest to ESIP. I will publicize this
link<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1epJHLYk-n7OMNkgEQ8uSCGnmPMFQMjIsUoDBpNdP30I/edit>
.

*Telecons: * <http://esipfed.org/telecons>
* Wed - Data Preservation
* Thurs - IT&I

If you have things you'd like included in next week's update, please send
by Sunday evening.

Best -
Erin

*Erin Robinson*
Information and Virtual Community Director
Foundation for Earth Science | 314.369.9954 | erinrobinson at esipfed.org
www.esipfed.org
[image: Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Federation-of-Earth-Science-Information-Partners-ESIP/150015055044779>
 [image: Twitter] <http://www.twitter.com/ESIPFed> [image: