[ESIP-all] Policies for Open Data /

Uhlir, Paul PUhlir at nas.edu
Fri Apr 12 10:34:21 EDT 2013

Hi Jeff and colleagues,

On data citation issues and practices, I would like to inform you about a multi-year project I have been directing through the NAS Board on Research Data and Information (BRDI) and the CODATA-ICSTI Task Group on Data Citation Standards and Practices. The first international workshop report on "For Attribution: Developing Data Attribution Practices and Standards" and published by BRDI, was released last fall and is available freely online from our www.nas.edu/brdi website. The second report, "Citation of Data: The Current State of Practice, Policy, and Technology", will be published by the CODATA-ICSTI Task Group by this June.

The CODATA-ICSTI Task Group and the Data Cite organization will be holding a joint workshop this fall in Washington, DC to develop principles and best practices, and an implementation strategy for major stakeholder groups--data centers, universities, publishers, science funders, and researchers themselves. This latter activity will also be a joint effort with the Research Data Alliance interest groups on Data Publication (including citation), co-organized with the World Data System and many EU groups. I know that ESIP has been a major player in the data citation activities and is represented on all these groups. Those who are interested in the data citation issues should contact me about these activities, since we are nearing a point of convergence and joint action on multiple fronts.

Best wishes,
Paul

Paul F. Uhlir
Director, Board on Research Data and Information, and
  US National Committee for CODATA
National Academy of Sciences
Washington, DC
Email: puhlir at nas.edu