[ESIP-all] New GHRC DAAC Manager

Maiden, Martha E. (HQ-DK000) martha.e.maiden at nasa.gov
Tue Nov 19 13:15:23 EST 2013

Congratulations to Rahul and to MSFC!  Nice nab!

From: <Goodman>, MichaelGoodman <michael.goodman at nasa.gov<mailto:michael.goodman at nasa.gov>>
Date: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:08 PM
To: "daac-mgrs at lists.nasa.gov<mailto:daac-mgrs at lists.nasa.gov>" <daac-mgrs at lists.nasa.gov<mailto:daac-mgrs at lists.nasa.gov>>, "esip-all at lists.esipfed.org<mailto:esip-all at lists.esipfed.org>" <esip-all at lists.esipfed.org<mailto:esip-all at lists.esipfed.org>>
Cc: "Behnke, Jeanne (GSFC-4230)" <jeanne.behnke-1 at nasa.gov<mailto:jeanne.behnke-1 at nasa.gov>>, "Hronek, Diane M. (GSFC-4230)" <diane.m.hronek at nasa.gov<mailto:diane.m.hronek at nasa.gov>>, Martha Maiden <martha.maiden at nasa.gov<mailto:martha.maiden at nasa.gov>>
Subject: [ESIP-all] New GHRC DAAC Manager

Friends, Colleagues, DAACsters and ESIPers,

I am very pleased to announce that Dr. Rahul Ramachandran is the new DAAC Manager at the  Global Hydrology Research Center located in the Earth Science Office at Marshall Space Flight Center.    Rahul is well known within the DAACs, the ESIP Federation, and the Earth Science community.   Rahul’s background in Earth science, computer science and informatics will serve him well.  Rahul received a  B.E. degree in Mechanical Engineering from JMI University, New Delhi,  an M.S. in Meteorology from South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, an M.S. in Atmospheric Science, another M.S. in Computer Science, and finally a Ph.D.  in Atmospheric Science from the University of Alabama Huntsville.

Beyond his impressive academic credentials, he was awarded the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) in 2009.  His research is focused on Earth Science Informatics connecting the application of computational methods and information technology to the acquisition, storage, processing, interchange, analysis and visualization of Earth Science data and information.

Rahul is no stranger to the GHRC.  As an Earth scientist and information technologist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville he worked almost daily with members of the GHRC.  Rahul formally takes over as the DAAC Manager when he becomes a NASA civil servant on 16 December 2013.   His focus on Earth Science Informatics will strengthen the DAAC and extend its reach into the our research and data community.

As for me, I have just started a 1-year detail position at NASA Headquarters where I am supporting Martha Maiden in the Earth Science Data Systems.  I have worked with the GHRC and its predecessor projects for over 20 years.  I cannot say enough about the professionalism and integrity of my GHRC colleagues, but most of all, they are all wonderful people and friends.  Of course, I’ll keep my hand in the NASA Earth Science Data Systems so I’ll see you at AGU, ESIP Federation, AMS, DAAC meetings, and around and about.

--Michael

H. Michael Goodman
202.358.1301 NASA Headquarters
256.763.2071 NASA cell