[ESIP-all] ESIP Disaster Response cluster

Fontaine, Kathleen S. (GSFC-6102) kathleen.s.fontaine at nasa.gov
Thu Jan 30 19:30:41 EST 2014

All -

You should look at basing your disaster definitions in part on the Disaster Charter, and then go from there.  Each signatory nation has an expectation of that definition for the scale of disaster that would invoke the Charter.  After that, of course, there are more localized disasters inherent to the region.

I'm sure that CEOS has incorporated those definitions, but I'd be more comfortable using an agreed set so it's easier to discuss ESIP's added value to the discussion.

Cheers

Kathy

Sent from my iPhone.
Dr. Kathleen Fontaine (Kathy)
NASA GSFC
+1.301.408.8937

On Jan 30, 2014, at 6:46 PM, "Moe, Karen (GSFC-4070)" <karen.moe at nasa.gov<mailto:karen.moe at nasa.gov>> wrote:

That is a very good question. From an ESIP perspective we can discuss and decide what scope makes sense  for the new cluster.

>From recent work with CEOS (international Committee on Earth Observation Satellites), my colleague John Evans created a spreadsheet to compare what events different groups included in 'disasters'. The IFRC was most comprehensive. CEOS is currently focusing on floods, earthquakes and volcanoes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y30u6gvwpw0i24h/Disaster%20types%20compared%20Dec12.xls

 -Karen