[ESIP-all] FW: [ISPC SciDataCon 2014] SciDataCon 2014: Submissions for Oral Presentations and Sessions Invited

Bob Chen bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 8 09:28:08 EDT 2014

Chaitan et al.--

Session proposals on the benefits and challenges of open data would
certainly be welcome, especially if they draw on experiences from or
relevant to India, south Asia, developing countries, etc. Given the
conference theme on data sharing and integration for global
sustainability, there needs to be a strong emphasis in the conference
on the ways in which local, national, and regional data can be
combined and integrated to support sustainability science, inform
decision making, and enable achievement of sustainable development
goals. Since the level of openness and data sharing varies
substantially between disciplines and sectors, identifying examples of
progress in access and integration as well as important barriers is
essential. We anticipate that SciDataCon will be a prominent event
within India and in south Asia more generally, so we do think this is
an excellent opportunity to foster awareness of open access trends in
other regions and globally and in a variety of disciplines.

We hope that you and others will consider submitting proposals for
organized sessions as well as individual papers. If you happen to know
anyone on the Local Organizing Committee
(http://www.scidatacon2014.org/local-committee) it might also be worth
getting in touch to see if there would be interest in putting together
sessions that include both Indian and international presenters.

Cheers, Bob

*****
Dr. Robert S. Chen
Director, Center for International Earth Science Information Network
  (CIESIN), The Earth Institute, Columbia University
Manager, NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC)
P.O. Box 1000, 61 Route 9W, Palisades, NY 10964 USA
tel. +1 845-365-8952; fax +1 845-365-8922
e-mail: bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
CIESIN web site: http://www.ciesin.columbia.edu
SEDAC web site: http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu