[ESIP-all] DataONE Webinar: Make Data Count: Measuring Data Use and Reach

Amber E Budden aebudden at dataone.unm.edu
Wed Apr 1 01:18:01 EDT 2015

Dear ESIP Community

We are pleased to open registration for the third event in the
DataONE Webinar Series (www.dataone.org/webinars) focussed on open science,
the role of the data lifecycle, and achieving innovative science through
shared data and ground-breaking tools. This webinar will be held on Tuesday
April 14th at 12 noon Eastern time.

Our webinar will be a panel presentation by *Jennifer Lin, Martin Fenner,
Matt Jones & John Kratz *from the Public Library of Science, DataONE and
the California Digital Library.  The webinar is focussed on the outcome of
a recent collaborative NSF grant and is titled:

*"**Make Data Count: Measuring Data Use and Reach"*.

The abstract for the talk is detailed below and you may register at:
www.dataone.org/upcoming-webinar.  Please circulate widely in your
communities; registration is free.

Webinars are held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 12 noon Eastern
Time.  They will be recorded and made available for viewing latter the same
day. A Q&A forum will also be available to attendees and later viewers
alike.

We welcome you to join us for this and future webinars in the series.  More
information on the DataONE WebinarSeries can be found at:
www.dataone.org/webinars and we welcome suggestions for speakers and topics.

Best
Amber

*Abstract*

California Digital Libraries, PLOS, and DataONE are partners in Make Data
Count (http://articlemetrics.github.io/MDC/), an NSF-funded project to
design and develop metrics that track and measure data use, i.e.
"data-level metrics" (DLMs). DLMs are a multi-dimensional suite of
indicators, measuring the broad range of activity surrounding the reach and
use of data as a research output.

In the webinar, we will discuss the findings from Phase 1 in which we
gathered information about the needs of researchers- how do they want to
get credit for the data they produce? What do they want to know about how
their data is used? What do they want to know about others' data to
evaluate quality? We connected with the community to determine requirements
and understand use cases for the data-level metrics prototype. We will also
demo the latest from our working prototype and share the initial results
(usage, citations, scholarly references and mentions, social media, etc.)
collected on datasets from DataONE member repositories.

--
Amber E Budden, PhD
Director for Community Engagement and Outreach

Tel: 505-814-1112
Cell: 505-205-7675
Fax: 505-246-6007