[ESIP-all] BESSIG meeting! Thu, 7/9, 4:00 Gondolier

Anne Wilson anne.wilson at lasp.colorado.edu
Sat Jul 4 16:52:34 EDT 2015

Hi ESIP,

It's been a while, but we have a BESSIG meeting next week!  If you
happen to be in Boulder next week, please join us on Thu, July 9 at the
Gondolier, when Joe Hourcle, from Goddard, will speak to us about
"Identifiers and Relationships".  Please see below for Joe's abstract
and bio.

Hope to see you there!

Anne
-----
Identifiers & Relationships

Abstract:

At a recent meeting, I came to realize that there are quite a few people
who have more recently come into the field of data informatics, and have
missed out on much of the discussions over the last decade on data
identifiers.  In the last few weeks two papers were published by some of
the same co-authors that took a contrary position on the presentation of
identifiers, although that was not a focus on either of the papers.

I will give an overview of some of the issues regarding identifiers for
data (both those that I think are resolved and not), the need for
vocabulary and standards to describe what is being identified, and the
implications for data citation and describing other data relationships.

Bio:

Joe Hourcle is (as of the time this was written) a programmer/analyst
for the Solar Data Analysis Center at Goddard Space Flight Center,
working as a programmer / DBA / sysadmin / cataloger / whatever else on
the Virtual Solar Observatory.  He has an interest in classifying things
and naming concepts -- he has been working with Todd King on a (still
unpublished) vocabulary to discuss data systems
(http://virtualsolar.org/vocab), and back before he knew anything about
ontologies & controlled vocabularies, added the topics to fark.com.  He
would also like to remind you that the crew neck means that most
t-shirts qualify as a 'shirt with a collar'.

-----
This email is being sent to you because you have been perceived as being
interested in the topic of Earth and Space Science Informatics.  If you
would like to be removed from this email list please let me know.

If you are interested in our group but have not yet registered at the
web site please do so as this helps us reach our core supporters.