[ESIP-all] Summer Meeting ‘How-To’ Plenary Talks: We want you!

Annie Burgess annieburgess at esipfed.org
Tue Mar 22 11:11:30 EDT 2016

Good morning ESIP,

This year, part of the Summer Meeting
<http://commons.esipfed.org/2016SummerMeeting> plenary session on July 20,
2016, will be devoted to a series of short how-to talks by community
members, and we need your submissions! Talks should be a show-and-tell of
sorts related to how you use/manage/visualize Earth sciences data, e.g.,
what's behind the curtain? There are two talk options:

   -

   Ignite <http://www.ignitetalks.io/> -- a five-minute talk with 20 slides
   that auto-advance every 15 seconds. The fun, fast delivery keeps the
   audience engaged.

   -

   TED <https://www.ted.com/> -- a nine-minute talk, where you control the
   slides, tell a concise story that makes a connection with the audience.

Whether you choose the five-minute or nine-minute talk format to share your
idea, you’re encouraged you to tell your story using the A,B,T (and, but,
therefore) model when putting together your talk. Check out this TED talk
on ABT <https://youtu.be/ERB7ITvabA4> if you're not familiar with the
concept.

Tips for a successful talk

   -

   Break your talk into a story line story with key points and universal
   truths.
   -

   Try using slides with images and with little to no text.
   -

   Push traditional talk boundaries. Be creative and funny.
   -

   Rehearse! The more you practice, the better your talk will be.

Inspiration and Resources

   -

   2015 AGU Ignite talks
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BCmOhOJ27M&feature=youtu.be&list=PL8X9E6I5_i8gaXaYTk-e7pKFsYgdouZHg>
   -

   Listen to the Storycollider <http://storycollider.org/> and the Moth
   <http://themoth.org/radio>
   -

   Scott Berkun: Why and How to Give an Ignite Talk (as an Ignite Talk)
   <http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rRa1IPkBFbg#!>
   -

   Jon Udell: Practicing for an Ignite Talk
   <http://blog.jonudell.net/2011/06/24/practicing-for-an-ignite-talk/>
   -

   A short screencast <https://vimeo.com/53010931> from on how to prepare
   an Ignite talk (disregard the dates)

To submit your talk idea, please fill out this form
<http://goo.gl/forms/e0ZTsTJJMy>. Deadline for submissions is April 1st.

Look forward to seeing you all in July!

Annie Burgess

*.Annie Burgess, PhD*Federation of Earth Science Information Partners (
*ESIP*)
www http://esipfed.org | twitter @esipfed <https://twitter.com/ESIPFed> |
phone 585.738.7549