[ESIP-all] Seeking short drone-related presentations for 7/19 ESIP Education Workshop

Margaret Mooney Margaret.Mooney at ssec.wisc.edu
Mon May 23 11:12:30 EDT 2016

Hello again - we have a planning meeting tomorrow so if you think you
can present please email me before cob today!
Thanks.

Hello,
The draft agenda for the 7th annual ESIP Teacher Workshop (Tuesday July
19th) includes an opportunity for ESIP members to present 10-minute
Ignite-like presentations and we're hoping to hear from you!

The workshop theme is "Using Recreational Drones in STEM Education" so
we will be prioritizing presentations that can make connections with
recreational drones.

If you're planning to attend the ESIP summer meeting and would like to
share a resource with educators please reply to me, Margaret Mooney
(margaret.mooney at ssec.wisc.edu) with the following information:

1) Title of talk:
2) Your Name:
3) 1-sentence description of your resource/topic (include URL if
applicable):
4) Connection(s) to recreational drones & STEM

The actual length of each presentation will depend on the final number
of presenters but 15 minutes will be the longest and 10 minutes will be
the minimum.

Hope to see you this summer!
Thanks,
-Margaret

Drones in STEM: Draft agenda for 7/19

    8:30 - Welcome, introductions, ESIP overview & drone distribution to
    educators (n=15)
    9:00 - Modeling best practices in safety and documentation (Use
    B4UFLY app* and fill out a flight data sheet) *Invite participants
    to download ahead of time
    9:10 - Drone Aerodynamics part 1: Controlled flight. Pair new pilots
    with experienced pilots.
    10:00 - Break
    10:30 - Drone Aerodynamics part 2: Safety and documentation. UAV
    payloads for novices; Image gathering challenge for experienced.
    12:00 - Lunch
    1:30 - ESIP Education sampler sessions (~10 minutes each -
    connections to drones)
    3:00 - Break
    3:30 - Assign responsibilities for testing activities. Develop
    consensus on best practices for activity instructions. Outline
    time-line and milestones for Drones in STEM e-book
    4:40 - Evaluations & wrap-up

--

*Margaret Mooney*
CIMSS Education and Public Outreach