[ESIP-all] In Memoriam: Molly Macauley

Bob Chen bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
Wed Jul 13 12:30:40 EDT 2016

Erin, Dave, et al.--

Thank you for circulating this. All of us who knew and worked with
Molly are still in shock about this tragic event. Molly was a leader
in the Earth and space policy communities with a broad view of the
importance of data and information in decision making. She was also
one of the warmest and most supportive people you could imagine.

Molly served as the chair of SEDAC's User Working Group from
2010-2014. She was a very effective chairperson, bringing both high
expectations and a constructive attitude to the oversight and advisory
responsibilities of the group. I know she also served on a wide range
of major advisory groups at NASA, NOAA, and other organizations with
comparable skill and influence.

Last month, Molly arranged for Alex de Sherbinin and me to give an
informal presentation about SEDAC to her colleagues and many student
interns at RFF. It was very clear how proud she was of the large
cohort of students there this summer, and how much they looked to her
as a valued role model, leader, colleague, and friend.

All of us at SEDAC and CIESIN wish to extend our deepest sympathies to
Molly's family, her colleagues at RFF and in the broader
science/policy community, and her friends and neighbors in Baltimore.

In sadness, Bob

*****
Dr. Robert S. Chen
Director, Center for International Earth Science Information Network
  (CIESIN), The Earth Institute, Columbia University
Manager, NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC)
P.O. Box 1000, 61 Route 9W, Palisades, NY 10964 USA
tel. +1 845-365-8952; fax +1 845-365-8922
e-mail: bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
CIESIN web site: http://www.ciesin.columbia.edu
SEDAC web site: http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu