[ESIP-all] The Web Services Cluster

George Percivall gpercivall at opengeospatial.org
Fri Feb 3 09:46:59 EST 2017

James,

Thanks for organizing this.  It is very timely.   Not sure how widely you want to consider this topic, but here are some ideas.

- OPeNDAP is a useful protocol as demonstrated by Ed’s stats from PODAAC as well as at other locations.  Where to next with OPeNDAP?  There has been good progress in aligning OPeNDAP with similar activities such as the Geographic Coverages information type and the OGC Web Coverage Service (WCS).  Based on your results in working with others in the recently completed OGC Testbed 12 there is good progress on reaching common semantics allowing interoperability on a broader scale.  In a similar way is the advancements of OPeNDAP and WCS regarding uniform and non-uniform grids; as well as spatial-temporal indexing.

- APIs.  The explosion of public APIs is an effective software development technique.  But the proliferation of APIs has degraded interoperability previously established by open web protocols.  Public but proprietary APIs define structures with similar names but different meanings; an structures with similar meaning but different names.  What actions can be taken by ESIP to promote the interoperability of APIs?  Perhaps ESIP would consider use of the Open API Specification (formerly Swagger) to increase the interoperability of public but proprietary APIs by defining open conventions for Earth Observation APIs.  Later this month, based on requirements from USGS, OGC will be releasing a Request for Information about these and similar API topics.

- OGC Web Services evolution after 10+ years of operational experience is a current theme that this ESIP discussion could inform.  Many ESIP members and beyond use OGC Web Services (OWS) on an operational basis to access large services [1].  What refinements, extensions, changes are needed to OWS specs to meet current and future ESIP member needs?  Current discussions include how to make OWS interfaces more resource oriented.  WMTS is a good example of resource orientation and is considered a basis for this OWS evolution.  Additional topics are being addressed over the course of this year in OGC Testbed 13 - see below.

Thanks again for raising this discussion.  As a member of ESIP, OGC looks forward to the discussion.

Regards,
George

[1]   Global-Scale Resource Survey and Performance Monitoring of Public OGC Web Map Services  <https://portal.opengeospatial.org/%3Ca%20href='http://www.mdpi.com/2220-9964/5/6/88'%3Ehttp://www.mdpi.com/2220-9964/5/6/88%3C/a%3E>  This paper explicates a distributed monitoring framework that was used to monitor 46,296 WMSs continuously for over one year and a crawling method to discover these WMSs. We analyzed server locations, provider types, themes, the spatiotemporal coverage of map layers and the service versions for 41,703 valid WMSs. Furthermore, we appraised the stability and performance of basic operations for 1210 selected WMSs

_______________________________________

During the ESIP meeting last month, Luis Bermudez presented about the OGC Testbed 13.

The Call for Participation has now been announced for TB13.
Of particular interest to ESIP may be these work items:

B.5. Cloud Computing Environment for Earth Observation Data - WPS for access to processing services.
B.13. Climate Data Accessibility for Adaptation Planning - NASA sponsored topic.
B.23. Workflows

B.6. DCAT/SRIM - semantic enable catalogues

B.11. Map Markup Language & Web-Map HTML Element
B.15. Vector Tiling
B.17. 3DTiles and i3s: Interoperability & Performance

The CFP is available at www.opengeospatial.org/standards/requests/154

George Percivall
CTO, Chief Engineer
Open Geospatial Consortium