[ESIP-all] DataONE Webinar Tomorrow 5/9: The Challenges of Reproducibility In Data Scarce Fields

Amber Budden aebudden at dataone.unm.edu
Mon May 8 09:44:00 EDT 2017

Dear Colleagues

Please be reminded of our webinar tomorrow on “The Challenges of Reproducibility In Data Scarce Fields” presented by Christine L. Borgman (UCLA) and Peter Darch (UIUC).

Tuesday May 9th at 0900 am Pacific Time, 1200 noon Eastern Time.

Register now via https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5800932470438920961 <https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5800932470438920961>

This will be the last webinar in the series and we will resume after the summer in September 2017.

Abstract:
Reproducing scientific results is difficult in fields whose research is characterized by large volumes of data, computationally intensive methods, and high degrees of standardization. In data scarce fields, which characterizes much of the earth sciences, reproducing results is even more challenging. Among the factors that limit reproducibility are data access, collection, curation, and accessibility. We discuss the extent to which reproducibility is an appropriate goal in data scarce domains and the tradeoffs between data reuse and reproducibility.

About DataONE:
DataONE enables universal access to data and also aids researchers in fulfilling their need for data management and in providing secure and permanent access to their data. These needs are filled by offering the scientific community a suite of tools and training materials that cover all aspects of the data life-cycle; from data collection to management, analysis and publication.

Best,
Amber

Amber E Budden, PhD
Director for Community Engagement and Outreach
DataONE
University of New Mexico
1312 Basehart SE
Albuquerque NM 87106