[ESIP-all] Request for info on "Trusted Data" concepts

Ge Peng - NOAA Affiliate ge.peng at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 13 08:59:12 EDT 2017

Thanks a lot, Rorie and Bob, for the timely information on new WDS-DSA Core
Trustworthy Data Repositories Requirements and ISO 16363:2012.

A certified trustworthy repository should support and ensure the quality of
its overall data holdings with well-defined and managed processes and
procedures.  However, currently, most data centers are not certified.

I would also like to draw attention to the difference between data
repositories trustworthiness and dataset trustworthiness. They support each
other but not the same thing (please see the slides 17 and 18 of this
presentation: tinyurl.com/DSMMintro). I think that defining trustworthy
datasets needs a holistic and integrated, both vertically and horizontally,
approach.

I would like to mention the dataset maturity assessment reference
frameworks that have been developed or under-development at NOAA. These
assessment models can be used as a part of validating or certifying
individual datasets by providing consistent and integratable quality
information, combining with trustworthy repositories requirements and ISO
1363:2012 standards.

An overview of the current state of building a consistent framework for
curation and presentation of Earth Science data quality can be found at:
http://commons.esipfed.org/node/9625

Hope it helps and please let me know if you have any question or need any
additional information.

--- Peng

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:20 AM, Rorie Edmunds via ESIP-all <
esip-all at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Since the ICSU World Data System and the new WDS–DSA Core Trustworthy Data
> Repositories Requirements (https://goo.gl/Z8BDeC) have been mentioned,
> please allow me to respond:
>
>    - Karen, we would welcome any interactions you would like to have on
>    this subject. Please feel free to get in contact if I can be of any
>    assistance to you. And many thanks to Bill for pointing everyone towards
>    our new, joint certification standard.
>    - Bob, this is a very important and interesting development. It is
>    useful to learn and I will pass it on to the WDS–DSA Standards and
>    Certification Board (https://goo.gl/vXlB4V).
>    - David, this is also useful information. ICSU-WDS has proposed a
>    panel session at AGU on Certification and Trustworthiness (
>    https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session25933.html
>    <https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session25933.html>),
>    which has now been combined with another traditional session on a similar
>    topic, so I am sure that some synergies can be found.
>
> Best wishes,
> Rorie
>
> ----
>
> Rorie Edmunds, PhD | Programme Officer
> World Data System-International Programme Office
> c/o NICT, 4-2-1 Nukui-kitamachi, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8795, Japan
> Tel: +81-4-2327-6394
> rorie.edmunds at icsu-wds.org | www.icsu-wds.org

*Ge Peng, PhD*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites - NC (CICS-NC)/NCSU and

NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)

Center for Weather and Climate (CWC)

151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
+1 828 257 3009; ge.peng at noaa.gov

ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-1986-9115