[ESIP-all] Session at 2018 Ocean Sciences Meeting: Data discovery in the marine sciences

James Collins james.r.collins at aya.yale.edu
Mon Aug 14 14:05:29 EDT 2017

Hi all:
Planning to attend the 2018 Ocean Sciences Meeting in Portland? Doing something cool with big datasets in the marine sciences? Consider submitting to a session I’m co-convening! Details below; deadline is September 6th. Please circulate as you see fit, and email me with any questions!
Jamie
ESIP Student Fellow, Data Stewardship
---
Postdoctoral Fellow
eScience Institute and School of Oceanography
University of Washington
james.r.collins at aya.yale.edu
http://jamesrco.github.io
Mobile: (518) 488-9666
Fax: (206) 685-6651

Ocean Sciences Meeting 2018
Session ID#: 28725
Session Description:
The quantity and variety of data and data science tools available to oceanographers, ecologists, and marine scientists continue to increase at exponential rates, revolutionizing hypothesis testing and enabling new discoveries.  How can new data and combinations of data from different sources be used to address significant, longstanding questions across the marine sciences? What insights can be gleaned by applying data science methods and tools to existing data sources?  This session welcomes submissions that highlight data science in the ocean sciences; these could include insights gained from technology (Argo floats, drones, gliders, satellites, ocean observatories, flow cytometry, acoustics, etc.), methods (machine learning, statistical modeling, computer vision, image analysis, data management, visualization, etc.) or techniques (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics, velocimetry, high resolution modeling, etc.) .  We also encourage submissions related to education including designing data science courses and improving reproducibility of results.
Primary Chair:
Allison Smith-Mislan, University of Washington Seattle Campus, School of Oceanography, Seattle, WA, United States
Co-chairs:
Sophie Clayton1, James R Collins1 and Julia S Stewart2, (1) University of Washington, School of Oceanography, Seattle, WA, United States (2) National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS)