[ESIP-all] EarthArXiv Preprint System

Narock, Thomas tnarock at ndm.edu
Mon Oct 23 09:58:49 EDT 2017

Happy Open Access Week!

As you may have heard, ESIP members and staff have been heavily involved in launching a preprint system for the Earth sciences. A preprint is a version of a scholarly paper that precedes publication in a peer-reviewed journal. The preprint may persist with it’s own unique DOI after a paper is published in a journal. After seeing the benefits that preprints have brought fields such as physics and biology, we have teamed up with the Center for Open Science to enable a preprint system for the Earth sciences.

We are excited for the public launching of our system, EarthArXiv, later this week. In preparation for our launch, we'd like to invite anyone who has a manuscript ready to submit to our pre-launch via https://osf.io/preprints/eartharxiv/  Just click on the "Add a preprint" button and you'll be guided through steps to set up an Open Science Framework account, submit a paper, and upload/link to any associated data and software. We'd love to have as many papers as possible pre-launch so that initial users of the system have content to explore.

If your current research is not ready for submission, you may be interested in using EarthArXiv to host a post-print - an archived copied of an already peer reviewed paper. Please note that post-print rules vary from journal to journal. You may want to first check the Sherpa/Romeo database (http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/index.php) to look for your journal's policy.

We're looking forward to an exciting week and the launch of a preprint service for the Earth sciences. Thanks for your support and we look forward to helping share your work in the future.

Tom Narock