[ESIP-all] Bruce Barkstrom 1944-2018

Ge Peng - NOAA Affiliate ge.peng at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 28 19:20:41 EDT 2018

I have heard and seen Bruce occasionally after I came to Asheville almost 9
years ago but did not get a chance to work with him directly.

I took this photo at last AUG Fall meeting - A five-mins chat at his poster
has turned into an over two-hours conversation.

He told me about the book he was writing and sent me the first Chapter in
early February 2018. I finished reading it non-stop and told him that I
have really enjoyed reading it and am looking forward to reading the
Chapter 2, which he promised to finalize as soon as he could.
Unfortunately, that was the last time I have heard from him.

I wished that I had an opportunity to know him sooner – talking with him at
the AGU was one of the best things for me at the meeting.

--- Peng

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 3:38 PM, Ruth Duerr via ESIP-all <
esip-all at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:

> I also kept a sporadic email conversation with Bruce and note that he was
> active practically up to the very end.  For example on June 2, he sent out
> an email to the FORCE11 mailing list with a list of articles to read in the
> latest issue of the Communications of the ACM on issues with Blockchain!
>
> Ruth
>
> On Aug 28, 2018, at 1:24 PM, Peter Fox via ESIP-all <
> esip-all at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
>
> I do not recall who took this: Santa Barbara, CA ESIP summer 2009. Many of
> you can imagine the conversation.
> <1937066_116141056962_6298879_n.jpg>
>
> ---Peter.
>

> On 28 Aug 2018, at 13:15 , Mattmann, Chris A (1761) via ESIP-all <
> esip-all at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
>
> Dear Erin,
>
> I am so sorry to hear this. Bruce and I had developed a pen pal
> relationship in the past 6-7 years as he and I grew
> closer after meeting at an ESIP meeting and talking about archives and
> Apache OODT. Bruce and I would regularly
> exchange notes to one another and I was saddened to hear years back when
> he first was diagnosed, got better, and
> then went into remission from his illness.
>
> He and I co-authored a paper together in Earth Science Informatics at the
> beginning of our relationship:
>
> A simple model illustrating the virtue of replication for long-term
> information preservation
> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12145-012-0100-4
>
> I grew to love seeing his notes. He would tell me about how everything
> could be replicated using the Ada language
> and how he could use it to model the things we were talking about with
> archiving and OODT. I got him so interested in
> Apache and the likes of open source, that we were able to get Bruce signed
> up and as a key contributor in terms
> of thoughts and discussions to the Apache OODT lists:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/nu5eaulyjw72lrcr <=== proud moment in 2012
>
> As the years passed by, Bruce and I would save the technical discussion in
> our notes, and mostly just ask how
> each other was doing. He would tell me about traveling somewhere with
> Alice, having great wine, and/or simply
> what his plans for the coming quarter were.
>
> The last note that I received was Bruce was on 12/22/2017. It was titled
> “Still Here”.
>
> I share that note in its entirety with you all:
>
> ---BEGIN Message
> I keep being surprised and pleased with being able to get up every day.
>
> While I'm still doing chemo, it looks like things are under control.
> Can't guarantee that will last, but so far so good.  I even ran into
> a physician who said I was only the third person he's encountered
> in 30 years of practice who'd survived three years after a diagnosis
> of pancreatic cancer.  In short, I'm a statistical anomaly - which
> you could call extremely lucky.  Anyway, I'm just back from a week
> in New Orleans, presenting a poster at the AGU meeting.  Enjoyed
> [...]

*Ge Peng, PhD*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites - NC (CICS-NC)/NCSU at

NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)

Center for Weather and Climate (CWC)

151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
+1 828 257 3009; ge.peng at noaa.gov

ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-1986-9115