[ESIP-all] Semantics at ESIP Planning tomorrow Tuesday 24th @4PM Eastern

Mcgibbney, Lewis J (172B) lewis.j.mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 23 16:15:19 EST 2020

Hi esipall@,

In light of the excellent feedback I received this morning, I think it is now appropriate to open this up to the entire Federation for consideration.

I recently got a query from a (long-term) Semantic Technologies community member which literally read…

“Can help me navigate the split-out between the semantic technologies, the earth science ontologies, the ontology harmonization, etc. I'm getting lost. If you have any tips about how to keep in touch, I really appreciate it.”

I’m thinking that it may be time, for those of us who are interested, to come together under the theme of Semantics at ESIP and provide the community with the larger picture of what we are all working on. With all of the good work going on I doubt this will be challenging. I think this will be particularly helpful if advertised to outside communities such as AGU ESSI, OGC, W3C, OntologForum, and loads of other venues.

Communities which have expressed interest to far are:

semanticharmonization@
discovery@
cor@
schema.org@
semantictech@
drone@,
soil-informatics@
air-quality@,
enviro-sensing@???

Having spoken with Megan Carter this morning, she wisely suggested that we discuss this at tomorrows Semantic Technologies Committee meeting. The primary agenda item is therefore to brainstorm what organizing an ESIP-hosted and sponsored Webinar entails and then bring it back to the community leaders.

If this is of intertest to you then please join us tomorrow

  *   4th Tuesday of each month at 4pm Eastern
  *   GoToMeeting: https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/976796333
  *   Phone Access: United States: +1 (872) 240-3212
  *   Access Code: 976-796-333
Also, if you are aware of Semantics work going on in other ESIP Committee’s or Clusters then please let me know and I will make the accommodation.

Watch this space.
Lewis

Dr. Lewis John McGibbney Ph.D., B.Sc. (Hons)
Enterprise Search Technologist, Web and Mobile Application Development Group (172B)
Application, Consulting, Development and Engineering Section (1722)
Information and Technology Solutions Directorate
O (818) 393-7402  |  M (626) 487-3476
https://jpl.webex.com/meet/lmcgibbn

JPL  |  jpl.nasa.gov

ITSD