[ESIP-all] Speaking Up! How Bystanders Can Change the Conversation Around Bias - PLEASE REGISTER!

Susan Shingledecker susanshingledecker at esipfed.org
Tue Aug 31 12:55:24 EDT 2021

ESIP,

Can you imagine a world where ALL voices are heard and valued and everyone
regardless of age, gender, race, or experience level feels welcome and
supported? While this may seem hard to achieve - it is absolutely possible
- especially here within the ESIP Community!

I want to invite you to participate in an upcoming *Bystander Training*,
which will help you learn key strategies for speaking up in challenging
circumstances - training that should help you within ESIP and other
professional spaces as well as elsewhere in life. This training will help
all of us to build a place where all voices are welcome and supported. This
is a free and open opportunity but pre-registration is required. Please
feel free to invite a colleague or someone new to ESIP to participate. The
training will be offered three separate times to maximize participation:*
Sept 10th 9am-noon, 2pm-5pm, or Sept 27 2pm-5pm (ET).*

*Please sign-up as soon as possible H
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf78DuLOFDhMhKaTFpebyvLW8CskTD8lFdNqLdhzSRESRqXLw/viewform?usp=sf_link>ERE
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf78DuLOFDhMhKaTFpebyvLW8CskTD8lFdNqLdhzSRESRqXLw/viewform?usp=sf_link>.
Learn more and please share this one-pager
<https://www.esipfed.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Bystander-Training-one-pager.pdf>
with
others.*

*'Speaking Up! How Bystanders Can Change the Conversation Around Bias'*Have
you ever wondered “Why didn’t I say something?” after witnessing social
bias—a stereotype, a prejudice or discrimination—that happened in your
everyday life? Deciding whether and how to respond to bias is complicated.
Understanding what motivates us to speak up, the challenges we face when
doing so, and strategies for effective responding can help bystanders to
bias better evaluate their options and select effective strategies. In this
web-based workshop, you will first learn about bystander reactions to
social biases and how these reactions can help or hinder decisions to speak
up. Building on this understanding, you will learn key strategies for
speaking up that invite reflection and dialogue.

I hope you will make the time for this very important work!

Susan

--
*Susan Shingledecker *
Executive Director